Advice For Fondant In 100 Degrees

Decorating By kandesmom Updated 31 Mar 2014 , 5:29pm by kandesmom

kandesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandesmom Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have advice on how to keep a fondant cake from melting in a 100 degree barn loft in August?? Please help! My brother's getting married in August and I thought about maybe using dry ice with a fan blowing over it to cool the cake. Think this would work??

10 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 11

I used IndyDebi's buttercream recipe under fondant last summer for an outdoor bday party which had to be about 97 degrees out...There was no problem with the fondant holding it's shape.

I hope that helps.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 11

APoor guests. They really have to dance and eat and just plain sit in a barn in August, in hundred degree weather? That's a health hazard. Nevermind keeping food from doing interesting things. Not that anyone will want to eat, they'll probably be getting heat stroke. Dramatic yes...but still sounds un fun.

kandesmom Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 1:27am
post #4 of 11

AThanks for the help. Did the fondant not get saggy or shiny from the heat? She's wanting fondant flowers and I just don't see them holding their shape in that heat and humidity. Any alternatives there? They're not your typical roses or daisies, they're kind of odd, more contemporary, so not something I can just buy artificial and get the look. :/

kandesmom Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 1:28am
post #5 of 11

AI want ADVICE, not criticism please.

savannahquinn Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 1:31am
post #6 of 11

The fondant did sweat when I took it out of the fridge...but I just left it and it dried.  It did not get saggy at all and I used fondarific... I would use a 50/50 mix if you are worried about fondant flowers. Although I had fondant figures on my cake and they were fine.

kandesmom Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 1:35am
post #7 of 11

A50 gum paste, 50 fondant? I've never used gum paste, always just stuck with fondant, does it hold up better?

savannahquinn Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 1:42am
post #8 of 11

yes, the 50/50 mix hardens... You can do less of a gum past to fondant ratio if you don't want it really hard.  Also I often use Wilton fondant if I just want to use fondant that will dry fairly hard.  I think that if you made your decorations with Wilton you'd be good to go!  

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 1:43am
post #9 of 11

A

Original message sent by kandesmom

I want ADVICE, not criticism please.

Oh please, it was a general observation, no need to take it personally.

savannahquinn Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 1:45am
post #10 of 11

also people use ganache under fondant to help hold it's shape in the heat...I think there are some threads on CC if you search for fondant in the heat or similar phrasing.

kandesmom Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 11

AThanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%