Streaks Of Different Color Tones In My Butter Cream

Decorating By linnod Updated 30 Mar 2014 , 5:09pm by linnod

linnod Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 3

My colors streak when frosting my cakes :cry:.I have taken a picture from pinterest to show what it looks like. Has this happened to anyone and how did you fix it.  http://www.pinterest.com/pin/152066924892616638/. I use wilton and americolor colors. 

2 replies
Katyast Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 3

I had the same problem and was using Amercolor and wilton!  No matter how much color I was using, it wouldn't darken the buttercream.  I don't think it is the brand of coloring used, but that it is not mixing properly.  I think the color had to be added in a different order (but not sure what order).  I was going for a dark brown and was using brown and black coloring.  I used an entire pot of brown for 1 8'' 6 layer cake - in my opinion WAY more than should have been necessary.  I added the coloring as the last step. 

As I was icing the cake, when using a hot spatula, the color would saturate with the melted butter!  Were you using a hot spatula?

linnod Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 3

I did think it might have been with the mixing of the color. I add a little at a time until I get the color I need. But when I mix to much my butter cream gets too many air bubbles in it...grrr. No, I did not use a hot knife. I crumb coat first then I put a good amount of butter cream on cake and use a bench scraper to smooth sides. Now this is when it happens. After smoothing, I have to touch up some divots and areas that don't have enough frosting and then the colors are different and I get streaks. Hmmmm 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%