Cupcake Baking Tricks

Baking By cakelove2105 Updated 31 Mar 2014 , 9:13pm by cakelove2105

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 12:10am
post #1 of 14

Hi Bakers!

I read that there in order to have nice dome o your cupcakes you should lower your oven temperature, what temperature you start at and how much you lower it? and how long you let them bake before lowering the temperature?

I also would like to know how longer you bake them so they don't harden or dry out?

​I really appreciate your help :)

13 replies
LesleyMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LesleyMoore Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 14

Hi cakelove2105, I am new to baking also but, I would have a test day ....When you have time - try out in your own oven different times & temperatures writing down your results for future reference....

I have been avoiding baking powder for ages due to wanting to use the creaming method with self raising flour on all my sponges sometimes with mixed results...I write all my problems in a note book next to my recipes. We are all leaning all of the time..: )

cakelove2105 Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 14

Hi LesleyMoore. Thank you :)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesleyMoore 

""........... writing down your results for future reference....

I write all my problems in a note book next to my recipes. We are all leaning all of the time..: )

LesleyMoore:  congratulations on having the good sense to do this.  You will be a great baker in a short period of time through your own research and development. Buy some sleeve protectors and a 3 ring binder to store your results.  Best Wishes to you and huge profits for your business (if you have one.)

mb

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 14

I bake my cupcakes at 375 for 7 minutes and then turn the temp down to 350 and let them finish baking.  I then let the oven reheat to 375 after the cupcakes come out.  This works very well for me.:detective:

cakelove2105 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 2:42am
post #6 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakegrandma 

I bake my cupcakes at 375 for 7 minutes and then turn the temp down to 350 and let them finish baking.  I then let the oven reheat to 375 after the cupcakes come out.  This works very well for me.:detective:

Thank You cakegrandma :)

kparks2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kparks2 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 2:44am
post #7 of 14

AI just bake at 350 and I fill liners appropriately with no issue. Do you use an ice cream scoop?

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 2:54am
post #8 of 14

AAre you baking from scratch? If so, scoop your batter into your cupcake liners and then let them sit 20 minutes before baking. They will come out nice and tall and domed. Otherwise, scratch cupcakes baked immediately after scooping will turn out flat or even caved in a bit.

The reason why is the leavening agent (baking powder, baking soda). The smaller the pan size, the more leavening you need, actually. Cupcakes and smaller cakes bake so fast, they are done before the leavening can be entirely activated. By letting the batter sit out, the moisture in the cupcake batter pre-activates, so the short bake time is compensated for.

You don't need to adjust your oven temperature. A lower temperature would slow baking, allowing the leavening agent more time to work, but it's not going to be much. Just scoop your batter and let it sit out while the oven heats.

Cake mix cupcakes come out domed every time, because those mixes have lots of additional chemicals in them to ensure a "perfect" consistent result.

kparks2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kparks2 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 14

I agree on the leavening but I think it depends because I use Georgetown Cupcakes recipes and my cupcakes turn out fine but I do not want them super domed because of frosting decorations.  I will say the chocolate ones will sink a bit but not too much.  Make sure the leavening ratio is good.  This site gave me some insight.

http://*********.com/learn/ingredients/leaveners

sarahgale314 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 14

AThe 20 minute trick and lots of other info about baking and baking ingredients is from "The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum. It has a whole section in the back on baking professionally. I highly recommend the book.

cakelove2105 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahgale314 

The 20 minute trick and lots of other info about baking and baking ingredients is from "The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum. It has a whole section in the back on baking professionally. I highly recommend the book.

Are you referring to the 8th edition (September 20, 1988)? I want to by the Cake Bible but I'm not sure if this is the last edition they threw or if there are some updated ones that people are buying... The 8th edition (September 20, 1988) is the only one I see in Amazon.com that's what confuses me the most :/

cakelove2105 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 7:53pm
post #12 of 14

Thank You all for your comments :)

sarahgale314 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 14

AYes, it is that edition. It's an older book, but really excellent.

cakelove2105 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 9:13pm
post #14 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahgale314 

Yes, it is that edition. It's an older book, but really excellent.

Thank you sarahgale314 ;-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%