What's Red Velvet Supposed To Taste Of??

Decorating By tessholly1 Updated 4 Apr 2014 , 3:13pm by howsweet

tessholly1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tessholly1 Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 17

AIv just made my first ever batch of red velvet cupcakes, iv never tried this flavour before myself so don't actually know what they're suppose to taste like. Mine pretty much just taste of vanilla, is that normal?? The recipe I followed was this.. Flour 20oz Sugar 14oz Butter 7oz Cocoa 2oz Oil 1tbsp Vanilla Extract 1tsp Water 8oz Eggs x3 Red Colouring 2tbsp Then you put it all in the bowl together, mix and back for 15 mins. Does anyone have a better recipe or does this sound right??

16 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 17

Doesn't have much flavor at all if you ask me.  But I think it's a horrid cake.

mashy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashy Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 17

AI'm with Leah. Not a fan, I think it tastes almost like nothing.

DaLush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaLush Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 17

Yeah, 

I'm with leah_s!

Lots of people just love red velvet and order it all the time but it's has no flavor just a little cocoa and red food coloring it makes no sense to me.

tessholly1 Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 17

AI'm so glad you all said that because that's exactly how they taste!! I assumed because it was so popular that it would be lovely..obviously I was wrong :)

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 17

I made my first red velvet cake last summer, and was amazed at the fact it did not really have any real taste, it was the hit flavor at the wedding, she also had white cake, mother of bride said they should have ordered all red velvet. I could not figue it out then and still can't.  It doesn't have a flavor.

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 17

ATotally agree with Leah! Happy for this post as I thought it was just me not being able to appreciate a "favorite" cake flavor with an attractive name.... at least the typical cream cheese frosting compensates for the lack of flavor.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 1:30am
post #8 of 17

I made a RV cake and I actually thought it was really good.  The cocoa flavor came out nicely in the taste, but I also tasted the note of buttermilk.

That being said, the amount of red food coloring required was repulsive….:-D

CakesbyCherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCherry Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 1:59am
post #9 of 17

AIm not big on red velvet either. I think it really has no taste.

Inga1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inga1 Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 2:38am
post #10 of 17

A tasteless cake, full of artificial coloring. Dark like chocolate, but not a rich chocolate taste at all. In this day and age with so much focus on health, can't imagine why this is so popular.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:20am
post #11 of 17

Totally don't get it, out of all the delicious cakes out there whenever a customer asks for this I have to keep a straight face so they can't tell I'm thinking "Really, you want a red velvet? Why?"

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 4:48pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessholly1 

Iv just made my first ever batch of red velvet cupcakes, iv never tried this flavour before myself so don't actually know what they're suppose to taste like. Mine pretty much just taste of vanilla, is that normal?? The recipe I followed was this..
Flour 20oz
Sugar 14oz
Butter 7oz
Cocoa 2oz
Oil 1tbsp
Vanilla Extract 1tsp
Water 8oz
Eggs x3
Red Colouring 2tbsp
Then you put it all in the bowl together, mix and back for 15 mins. Does anyone have a better recipe or does this sound right??

Red velvet cake should have a subtle, tangy flavor which necessitates buttermilk (or vinegar) which the above recipe lacks; and this recipe has more cocoa than found in traditional RV cakes. 

As a cultural aside, we often prefer tastes introduced to us when we're young. So people from the southern US are more likely to prefer this cake.  

For ten years I owned a bakery/cafe in central New York. I sold my shop and moved to the southern US, then opened a bakery-sandwich shop. Customers came in looking for RV cakes. I'd never heard about this flavor and did some heavy research and development. I hated every recipe I tried, so eventually I just used my chocolate cake recipe with added red coloring. Customers complained it was nothing more than a chocolate cake with red coloring. But it became one of my best-selling cakes. 

tessholly1 Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 5:35pm
post #13 of 17

AOh I see, well I'm from the UK so maybe that's why I'm not so familiar with RV. Is there a recipe you could recommend that maybe includes the buttermilk or vinegar??

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 6:48pm
post #14 of 17

Quote:

Oh I see, well I'm from the UK so maybe that's why I'm not so familiar with RV. Is there a recipe you could recommend that maybe includes the buttermilk or vinegar??

The recipe on the Sweetapolita blog is good.  I'm not a red velvet fan, either, as I'm one of those people who can taste food coloring (apparently, not everyone can) and I think it tastes a bit bitter.  

Red velvet is, however, my most requested flavor.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 7:37pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:

Oh I see, well I'm from the UK so maybe that's why I'm not so familiar with RV. Is there a recipe you could recommend that maybe includes the buttermilk or vinegar??

Hi tessholly1, I think cream cheese icing is the biggest appeal to those of us who are not southerners... I looked over these recipes, but I've not tried them. Let us know if you like any. 

Waldorf Astoria Red Velvet Cake

Southern Recipe Red Velvet Cake 

Paula Deen's Red Velvet Cake

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 7:13am
post #16 of 17

I think the name Red Velvet sounds seductive and people are drawn to the color.  The first time I made it even my kids said it didn't taste like anything, but that does not stop people from wanting it.  The amount of red food color makes me a little ill and I only use half the amount and still the batter looks like blood in the bowl.  Tonight I tried a recipe using uncooked beet and raspberry puree for the red.  It's not the stop light red of food coloring but it's a more natural chocolatey red or burgundy color.  I forgot to add the vanilla at the end so the flavor of the berries really comes out.  I much prefer this to the blah taste of traditional red velvet and this one is high in antioxidents!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 3:11pm
post #17 of 17

AI used to feel the same way about it being blah, but I finally added it to my flavors and now when I make it, it's the one flavor that I want to save the extra bits and cram them in my mouth. I like it plain, with regular buttercream or cream cheese icing. I would eat it in a house or with a mouse.... There's something about that cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%