Hi, New Here Need Bit Of Help Please

Baking By jessiecakes1983 Updated 26 Mar 2014 , 7:16pm by jessiecakes1983

jessiecakes1983 Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 6

Hi guys,


I'm new on here and i'm currently studying my Cake Decoration Level 1 at Tameside College on a Thursday evening and was wanting to set up my own cake decorating business only starting out small as i also work full time and do different shifts.


I absolutely love my Cake Decorating and everyone always compliments me when i make/bake/decorate a cake and love everyone's reactions like my friends and family but just wanted to start making some money for my skills which i've learned over the last couple of years.


what would be the best way to start off as i'm thinking of my company name which was going to be JessieCakes but i think someone's already got this name?


I would love to charge the right amount as we all know it's so time consuming but just wanted abit of advice really in how i'd start to set it up? I'm looking to get some business cards soon but not sure how to advertise? also with friends and family do people generally do it at cost price or charge more cos of all the work involved?


i've got friends who want me to make cakes for their son's/relatives birthdays but not come to a price yet cos i really don't want to over-charge or under-charge and then make a loss of time/money.


please would anyone be able to help me with this?







5 replies
leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 6

There are tons of threads on here that answer you questions.  The first step to getting into this business is to be sure and do it legally.  Where are you located?

jessiecakes1983 Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Leah,


Thanks for repyling to my thread. Ok, thanks and i'm based in Hyde, Chesire.


from what i'm thinking i will need to get my health and safety certificate whics a a day based course?

I will need the environmental health people from the council to visit my home to make sure that it's safe to practice? Oh and to get some insurance as well? what else do i need to take into account before i start? sorry to sound like such a newbie.



leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 6

So you're in the UK?  Most of us here are US based.  You might want to start a new thread with UK in the title so that the people who can help you see it.

Crazy-Gray Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 6

AI'm in the UK too Jessie (well, Northern Ireland, it only just counts! lol);

1 - Contact your local environmental health dept, even over the phone they will be able to tell you if you need to make any initial arrangements and will advise you on how to draft a HACCP 2 - Get your food hygeine - go for intermediate/level 2 at least, you will be the sole baker so the higher the cert the better 3 - Price public liability insurance, some clubs/groups/societies give it free if you are a member and have low turnover, can't remember any names off hand sorry 4 - register with HMRC as a sole trader 5 - do a business plan, maybe contact 'go for it' they are very helpful! think about your target market decide on a good pricing structure 5 - think about a company name 6 - get a website 7 - get marketing

jessiecakes1983 Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 6

AHi Crazy-Gray,

Thank you so much for your advice and I will definitely look into all of what you've mentioned above and thanks Leah I didn't realise so thanks again for all the advice and i will be sorting it out very soon x

Quote by @%username% on %date%