Faded Pink Fondant

Decorating By coloradocache Updated 27 Mar 2014 , 12:55am by FrostedMoon

coloradocache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradocache Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 1:24am
post #1 of 9

I made the most awesome mmf fondant and colored it with Wilton's pink color for a Minnie Mouse cake 1 week ago.  I added some Wilton's tylose to a portion of the pink fondant to make the bow yesterday.  I looked today and the bow has already faded to almost white while drying!  By the time the cake is due next week, I'm sure the color will be totally gone.  What do I do?  Use Americana coloring and recolor my fondant?  Mix the Wilton pink coloring with vodka and paint my bow to get the correct color?  I'm worried because I've already colored my fondant to cover the cake and as I look at it I'm thinking it's getting lighter as well.  I need to cover the cake with pink fondant and decorate next Thursday and deliver it on Saturday morning.....will all the pink color disappear by then?

8 replies
mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 2:14am
post #2 of 9

AYes! That happened to me too for both pink n purple! And while i was drying my bow! I used wilton gel colors too.. I redid my bow And let it dry in a dark place, since light (sunlight, fluorescent) can lighten the colours. Goodluck in your bow!

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 9

AYou can try airbrushing the bow with Wilton colormist, if you don't have an airbrush.

coloradocache Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you both.  I don't have an airbrush so I think I'll try painting the color on.  If nothing else, I guess I'll be making a new bow :-)

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 9

AWilton brand makes a colormist that you can buy at Walmart or any hobby store. It's in a can.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 9

Red/Pinks from the US fade quickly as some additive has been banned.  When this happened with my americolor gel I was advised to either not color until a day or so before the cake was needed or to keep it in a dark place.  I have since sourced some SugarFlair red from the UK and this is not supposed to fade.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 9

I've found wilton is especially bad about fading.  Definitely keep colored fondant out of the sun, and try using a steamer to "set" the color.  That has helped me a lot.  If it were me I'd start over rather than spray or paint unless you are looking for that effect.

coloradocache Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you for all of your input.    I just checked the fondant I made to cover the cake with and it's already faded too -  just not as much.  Sounds like I just need to start over - only thing is - what brand of color should I use - or I guess I just have to be careful to keep the cake out of the light after it's covered.  Funny, all the cakes I've made have been for my grandsons so I was so looking forward to making a cake that was pink - who would have thought "pink" would be such a challenge!

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 12:55am
post #9 of 9

I've had better luck with Americolor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%