Fondant Problems!!!!! Please Help!!!!!

Decorating By Sweettart1970 Updated 27 Mar 2014 , 3:01pm by Sweettart1970

Sweettart1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettart1970 Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 1:09am
post #1 of 7

Can you remove fondant off a cake without destroying the cake underneath?  I tried covering a 3.5 inch high 8" round cake with fondant and got about half finished and it started to tear and so rushed to get it all on and ended up with wrinkles and pleats in the fondant at the bottom where I would rather it smooth!!!!:mad:  Want to take it off and start again but don't have time to do it if it means destroying the cake underneath!

Please help...any suggestions would be helpful!! 

Cake needs to be done for this Saturday!!!! :roll:

6 replies
mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 1:25am
post #2 of 7

AYes you an peel fondant off your cake but some of the buttercream will stick to it so you would have to redo your buttercream underneath to make it smooth again. You can still use the same fondant, just scrape of as much frosting as u can. Hopefully it's vanilla icing, as your fondang is white. Just knead the fondant again...also your fondant looks a bit thin.. Maybe that's why it's pleating so much at the bottom? Good luck!

Sweettart1970 Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 1:35am
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much...will try to do this tomorrow and make the fondant a little thicker.  When you roll your fondant out to cover a cake...how much extra do you allow for covering?  If I have too much extra does that cause it to tear too because of the weight pulling down on it?  How thick should I approx. roll the fondant?  Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! :smile:

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 3:05am
post #4 of 7

AHi! Yes, having so much extra fondant hanging drags the top so the added weight could lead to tearing on top. When i roll out my fondant i allow about 2" extra. I roll out my fondant about 1/8" thick.

When smoothing the fondant in the cake, try smoothing the first 1/4 inch all the way round ( easier if the cake is on a turntable) then the next 1/4 all the way round and keep going until you are at the bottom.

Hope this helps :)

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 9:57am
post #5 of 7

If you have more fondant, why don't you give it another  thin layer of fondant over this.  It happened to me last week and that's what I did.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 10:51am
post #6 of 7

I would also just do another thin layer over the existing one. you will get a nice smooth finish this way.

hope its not too late :)

Sweettart1970 Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks guys for your helpful ideas...because the need for the cake is so close to due date I decided not to try taking the fondant off and I will post what I did instead.

Next time around I will remember that idea to put another thin layer of fondant over top.  Thanks! :smile:

I cut off all the extra fondant smoothed the wrinkles best I could and covered them with a strip of fondant ribbon instead.  I don't like how the fondant looked on the side of the cake so put those little flowers on to drop peoples eyes to them rather then the poor covering of the cake.

Thanks for everyone's help and will remember your helpful advice for another time. :smile:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%