Using Real Burlap On Buttercream Cakes

Decorating By grammy1963 Updated 16 Mar 2015 , 8:06pm by -K8memphis

Burlap ribbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Burlap ribbon Posted 21 May 2014 , 2:26pm
post #31 of 34

When you take the burlap/ribbon off the cake to cut it, did the icing come off the cake?  What can you use to keep the icing from coming off?

Jpfam04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jpfam04 Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 4:35pm
post #32 of 34

mrsg1111 I'm curious to hear about the sugar veil works out. I have never used it. I too have a bride that wants burlap look. I found a burlap ribbon at Hobby Lobby but am looking for alternatives.

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 2:43pm
post #33 of 34

HI,

It was very simple to use. It came out the very perfect the very first time I used it and the sugar veil mix isn't expensive. the woven mat was pretty costly but if figured I would definitely get use out of it..  There may be smaller cheaper ones if you search. 

It is definitely something you have to plan and make in advance as once the sugar material is made it has to sit overnight.. then once its put on the mat it has to dry slowly.  I would suggest trying it out first to see how long it takes so you can plan it when making your cake.  If it is made too far in advance the sugar dries out and cracks.  This happened to me but it actually put a little more of the frayed effect on the burlap. I   

Fran & Trisha's Cakes's photo.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 8:06pm
post #34 of 34

that looks exactly like burlap -- you did a great job -- thanks for sharing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%