What Are Your Favourite Fondant And Other Charts That You Use All The Time?

Decorating By Danilou Updated 25 Mar 2014 , 10:13am by cazza1

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 3:37am
post #1 of 10

Over the last couple of years I've been building up my collection of charts that will help me when caking.

So far I have;

All the Wilton charts

How much fondant to cover a cake board (from cakesbakesand cookies.com)

Conversion of U.S to Aus  with ingredients (from a chart here on c.c).

I've used the Ganacherator (which was working until recently).

I'd like to know which Fondant chart (quantity needed to cover a cake) is the best as there are so many out there. Before I start having to convert to grams I'd rather work out which is the best. So far I've got Wiltons, Earlenes and cakebaker. They are all different and I'd would like "enough plus a little extra". I used Wilton's last time and it wasn't quite enough. I don't roll my fondant thin at all. Maybe because my cakes were 4 inches high?

Also what are some other charts that you highly recommend?

Ta,

9 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 4:24am
post #2 of 10

AI've amassed my own over the years, from countless recordings of how much fondant it took to cover, for example, a three tiered cake with 4, 5, and 6 inch tiers with average fondant detailing. How many different pan sizes and how many of each will one batch of a particular recipe fill. How many tiers of various sizes will a batch of SMBC fill and ice...etc etc. That plus the calculations that my accounting software provides for each order, pretty mich nails down what I need to know fairly accurately.

I definitely convert recipes to weight for greatest accuracy, ounces for bigger volume ingredients, grams for small stuff like baking soda and powder.

Serving charts, I use one, which is a hybrid version of Wilton and Earlene wedding servings for all cakes, regardless of occasion.

AZCouture Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 4:28am
post #3 of 10

AMy favorite chart though is one I built that shows neary every ppossible combination of tier sizes for a requested serving amount. For example, if someone asks for a cake for 80 people, I don't have to say, ok that's a three tier. It may well fit a three tier, but I can glance at my chart and offer a 5 tier that is tall and towery, or a combination of half tall tiers and normal sized tiers, or a double barrel with a couple of normal tiers on top. Or a mix of rounds and squares, etc etc. Either way, it takes me all of 1 minute to see all the different configurations for any given serving amount, and I can move on to designing a lot quicker.

Danilou Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 4:31am
post #4 of 10

ASounds great! Do you share??

Sammy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy09 Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 4:43am
post #5 of 10

ASounds great! Can you make it an app and sell it? Very interested.

Danilou Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 5:16am
post #6 of 10

ASo am I. I'd pay for that. Especially if it had gram weights as well.

AZCouture Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 6:30am
post #7 of 10

AHmmmmmmmm. I'll look into that.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 7:27am
post #8 of 10

$999

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 7:28am
post #9 of 10

.... with a free set of steak knives   ;-D