Help!!! Is This My Fault, Cake Fell Off Bottom Layer

Decorating By luciescakes Updated 23 Mar 2014 , 12:27pm by luciescakes

luciescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luciescakes Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 2:20am
post #1 of 6

A client came to pick up this cake.  They drove 100 km to get to thier house, and I got a message saying her cake had fallen over, this is what she gave me.

I don't understand how the cake can still be standing, but slid off the bottom layer.  The top cake is sitting on 5 straws and i have a dowel going through all the layers to the board.  I find it odd that the cake is still straight, but it's fallen off the bottom tier?!??! Can anyone help? Is this my fault!

She is pretty mad at me right now.  Any and all advice will be appreciated. *

I have sent cakes on charter planes air cargo, and I have taken some over 200 km by car in summer and I have never had this happen. HELP!

5 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 3:35am
post #2 of 6

Looks to me like she hit the brakes too hard or took a turn too fast. 

Not much you can do to if the client isn't careful when transporting the cake.

Sorry, but once they take control of it, whatever happens is on their head, not yours--as long as your constructions was solid [and your descriptions says that it was].

musicmommy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicmommy1 Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 5:10am
post #3 of 6

Oh no! I'm so sorry this happened. Your cake was adorable! I just have to say, I feel your pain. The same thing happened to me earlier this month. After I delivered the cake, my client put the cake in the trunk of her car to bring it to her event location. The result was very similar to your picture.

My cake was solidly built and it sounds like yours was too. It really is the client's responsibility once they take posession of the cake, as you have no way of knowing/controlling what they do or how they might drive. But one thing I learned from everyone here when this happened to me is to make sure you state that clearly in your contract. 

It's a terrible feeling because you worry that perhaps you didn't build the cake strong enough. But really, she most likely took a crazy turn and may want to blame you for it.

In my case, I offered my client a partial refund (I'm not necessarily suggesting you do the same, it's just what I did and I know each case is different). I suppose you could offer her a discount on a future cake but honestly, I think you would also be justified if you offered nothing at all. I guess it comes down to doing what feels comfortable to you- whether that be nothing or some kind of small compensation.

I wish I had better advice. Hang in there and I hope you are able to work things out with your client :)

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 5:52am
post #4 of 6

A100 km is a long way. You should have a release form that clients sign when they pick up cakes.

Assuming this tiered cake was properly constructed - it looks to me like they braked.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 5:56am
post #5 of 6

Before I opened my business, years ago, during a delivery, my husband slammed on the brakes when he missed my girlfriend's street, and her free college graduation cake looked just like this. Slides happens after a quick stop.

As the others have said make sure you have this in your contract, no refund on cakes that are picked up. And your cake was really nice.

luciescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luciescakes Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone, I did giver her a partial refund.  The thing I don't get is how the cake is still standing and not collapsed even after leaning like that, and then slid off the bottom layer.   Logically if it was a structural issue, the cake would have collapsed or the top tier would have fallen off? I feel really bad for my client!  I just wanted to make sure that I didn't build it wrong.  

Like i mentioned, I used to live in Yellowknife NWT and shipped wedding cakes on small planes in cargo, and they made it... people would drive gravel roads to their cabins with my cakes and they made it, I don't know why a cake can't travel in a car on a highway and not make it!!

I was so upset yesterday!  You never want to hear your client is mad!!

I will for sure state and add to contract that I not responsible for transportation. <<<siiiigh>> it's much too early for wine.... or is it?!!?

Thanks again for all your advice!! and encouragement! I've shown it to my cousin who does wedding cakes and she also thought that someone dropped it or slammed the breaks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%