How Should I Ship These Fondant Ribbon Roses?

Decorating By kellyk1234 Updated 21 Mar 2014 , 7:09pm by kellyk1234

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 8

I attached a picture of the rose, they are small and will be used as cupcake toppers that I am shipping to a friend. I know they seem very unlikely to break, but wanted to see how everyone else would ship them. I have to make 24. Should I wrap each individually, so they're not touching each other, and then line a box with bubble wrap? Also, should I worry about the heat melting them? They should arrive at the destination in 1-2 days with regular ups ground, so they don't have to be shipped that far away. 

Also, please critique my rose. This is the first time I've made fondant ribbon roses and I just put this together in a minute just to see if I can actually do it!

Thanks! :)

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 8

hello neighbor, (i'm in tn ;)

cute little roses--pretty good for a 1st--see the two folds down in the middle at 2:00 and 4:00? you need to tuck those in up & down rather than across at an angle like that--and you can experiment with the fold on the edge--i'd like mine a little thinner--but there's no right or wrong--

after drying -- yes i'd roll each one loosely in a wrinkled paper towel and then bubble wrap is good and fill the box so the roses are not squished but do not budge--i often use the crinkely bags from the store to fill out a box--

what i would do is make sure they are nice & dry before shipping--i would knead in a few tablespoons of corn starch to my fondant so it dries nice & crispy--i also use some flavoring like raspberry is my favorite--

best to you

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 8

Roses look fine to me.  I would wrap them and use the bubble wrap as you suggested.  If they are dry enough they may not melt.

musicmommy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicmommy1 Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 8

Yes- everything recommended above would work. Definitely make sure they are dry dry dry. I used to ship out fondant cupcake toppers weekly. I wrapped each of mine individually in wax paper and then again in bubble wrap. I would layer bubble wrap on the bottom of my box, put a layer of wrapped cupcake toppers, then another layer of bubble wrap, etc. Definitely make sure they are snug but not too tight in the box. And mark the box "fragile" :)

Good luck!!!

kellyk1234 Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 8

AThank you for the quick replies. I'm not quite sure what you mean about tucking in and down, I've watched a few videos but no one really explains exactly how to roll it. Do you have any tutorial suggestions? The method I used for this one was folding the fondant in half before rolling to give it a little more "pouf," I guess you would call it.

I have to ship them in 2 weeks, so I should probably make them now then. Also, what kind of flavoring do you add K8memphis? Is it just extracts?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 8

not an extract--some kind of raspberry oil--like a lorann oil--

i don't have or know of any tutorials--

but the bottom edge needs to be smaller that the top edge--right? so if you pinch up a bit of fondant pinch it straight up & down rather than have it fold over to one side--it's how i do them--

your rose is great [she typed in rose red colored font ;] i'm giving you some fine points because you asked--you're more than fine without paying them any attention too--

no worries--best to you--

kellyk1234 Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

not an extract--some kind of raspberry oil--like a lorann oil--

i don't have or know of any tutorials--

but the bottom edge needs to be smaller that the top edge--right? so if you pinch up a bit of fondant pinch it straight up & down rather than have it fold over to one side--it's how i do them--

your rose is great [she typed in rose red colored font ;] i'm giving you some fine points because you asked--you're more than fine without paying them any attention too--

no worries--best to you--

Ahh nevermind, I get what you meant now about tucking the sides in, I just didn't understand at first!  I will keep practicing until I get them right. I will take any advice I can get! Thank you! :)

kellyk1234 Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmommy1 

Yes- everything recommended above would work. Definitely make sure they are dry dry dry. I used to ship out fondant cupcake toppers weekly. I wrapped each of mine individually in wax paper and then again in bubble wrap. I would layer bubble wrap on the bottom of my box, put a layer of wrapped cupcake toppers, then another layer of bubble wrap, etc. Definitely make sure they are snug but not too tight in the box. And mark the box "fragile" :)

Good luck!!!

Thanks so much! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%