Baking The White Whale

Decorating By OneHotMess Updated 2 Apr 2014 , 2:50am by Eachna

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 4:52pm
post #61 of 69

awesome to reach the pinnacle of cheesecake perfection--no crack-o-la--me, i'm lazy i either cover with a topping or slice it and viola the cracks are icognito--i even saw a thing online somewhere where they spatula over the crack with a little water for a great result too--

but i am writing to add a food safety note--there's a 6 hour window to get the cake cooled down to 41 degrees and for example if it was a wedding cake tier or for a pot luck or something there would be no display time left if you use up all the 6 hours in the cooling--you have two hours to get it below 70f (52 c) degrees and then 4 hours to get it  to 41f (5c) before the hazardous bacteria multiply like rabbits in heat--

an idea toward that is to use an ice bath to get it cooled down quick--

so just a safety word

OneHotMess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneHotMess Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 5:11pm
post #62 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eachna 
Also, for the person who has trouble with cream-cheese cheesecakes...the trick to a good cheesecake is not so much the recipe, as how you bake it. I bake mine in a water bath on reasonably low heat for an hour in my oven. It will still be jiggly at this point. Then I let it stay inside until the oven cools to room temperature (usually a couple hours or overnight). THEN, I refrigerate it for anywhere from several hours to overnight. The very gentle steam-baking and slow cooling with a good long chill keeps it very creamy and protects it from over-baking. Cheesecakes with the big deep cracks in them have been over-baked and tend to be a little rubbery or chalky.

I cheat at cheesecake.

I don't give it a bath, I put it in a sauna. A New York sauna.

My oven goes up to 500 - which is absolutely not 500, because that oven calibration guy won't get back to me and I'm pretty sure I'm on a blacklist of kitchen repair personnel - but it goes up, the cheesecake sits in there for 15 minutes, and then I drop the oven down to "200" without opening the door, and BOOM! Perfect cheesecake every time. Nice bronzed top like some kind of Ken doll. But made of cheesecake. Which is way better than a Ken doll, have you looked at his bits and particles? There's painted-on boxer briefs there!

My trick is - and I've never had a cheesecake crack - I put it OVER a water bath. A 9x9 Pyrex 3/4 full of basic tap water. I let that come up with the oven while it's headed toward 500, slam the cheesecake in, and then there's no looking back. I'm way too terrified of a cheesecake swamp, even in a set of tinfoil armor, to actually put that much money...I mean, cream cheese...in a swimming pool. Did I mention that dairy prices are outrageous? Not like a Cyndi Lauper "Woo the 80's RAWK" hilarious, more like a "Holy Crabcakes, my wallet is aflame!" outrageous. So I set the cheesecake above the waterbath. The super-low over temp combined with a pore-cleansing steambath inside the oven mean that it's cooked gently enough (minus the 500 degree start) that it won't crack.

But that's New York style. Lotsa eggs, tall like the Empire State Building, all that jazz. Or is that Chicago? My musicals and metaphors are hazy. I don't know that you'd get the same results with a lower temp or consistently-temped cheesecake.

AshCakes1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshCakes1988 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 7:32pm
post #63 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneHotMess 

However, Ina's chocolate cake is divine. The batter will scare the niblets right out of you once you put the coffee in it, because you will automatically think, "Oh ish I just wasted nine trillion dollars worth of chocolate and GOOD vanilla - Ina says it has to be GOOD vanilla, and she glares at me when she says it and works up a lathery fit with that Boston accent - because this isn't batter, it's chocolate pudding snot. Somewhere, a Callebaut factory worker is crying."

I use this chocolate cake recipe myself, its my favorite. And I have to say your explanation of how you felt once you put the coffee in it, is DEAD ON!!!!! hahaha! Love this!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 7:48pm
post #64 of 69

K8, I don't make the cheesecake to sell, it's strictly home consumption and we've never had any one get sick because of the amount of time it spent in the oven.  Once it sits in the fridge over night and I remove it from it's pan, it is refrigerated all the time except when slicing it to eat.  And believe me.....that recipe doesn't last long in this house!!  I do understand what you're saying and if I was in business, I'd really take it to heart and change my method.

-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 8:03pm
post #65 of 69
oh for sure! we all probably stretch the rules at home a bit--but it's especially important for the really old, the really young and folks who are already sick--i just wanted to toss that out there for balance--
Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 8:55pm
post #66 of 69

That's because you're such a caring and considerate person.  It shows in a lot of your posts.

-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 10:06pm
post #67 of 69

thank you, gerle, very sweet of you

OneHotMess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneHotMess Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 11:52pm
post #68 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerle 

That's because you're such a caring and considerate person.  It shows in a lot of your posts.

Truly, you are <3 I should have put a bit in there about my post-cheesecake-chilling-techniques...I *do* rapid chill it. In a Michigan winter, I pop all the windows open in my breezeway and put it on a sill. It's like a blast chiller plus turbo-fan. But in a nod to safety, and especially because these things tend to get made around the holidays when we're all too boozy to (okay, okay, when I'm too boozy) to pay much attention to when the ice tray has gone liquid under the shrimp, or the cheesecake is starting to sweat a bit, PLEASE everyone follow food safety rules and get the darned things down to a safe temp. I would hate to see anyone poison Great Aunt Edna.

k8 is absolutely accurate that your guests and customers will run you out of TP and business if you give them a disease bomb shaped like a delicacy of cheesecakey goodness.

Eachna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eachna Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 2:50am
post #69 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

awesome to reach the pinnacle of cheesecake perfection--no crack-o-la--me, i'm lazy i either cover with a topping or slice it and viola the cracks are icognito--i even saw a thing online somewhere where they spatula over the crack with a little water for a great result too--

but i am writing to add a food safety note--there's a 6 hour window to get the cake cooled down to 41 degrees and for example if it was a wedding cake tier or for a pot luck or something there would be no display time left if you use up all the 6 hours in the cooling--you have two hours to get it below 70f (52 c) degrees and then 4 hours to get it  to 41f (5c) before the hazardous bacteria multiply like rabbits in heat--

an idea toward that is to use an ice bath to get it cooled down quick--

so just a safety word

I do agree that food safety is of utmost importance. I don't advocate sacrificing safety for vanity!

My cooking and baking habits were taught to me by one grandmother and great-grandmother, and reinforced by my mother, and I learned to cook in the late 70's. I rarely refrigerate baked goods, although cheesecakes are one of the exceptions. BUT (and this is a _huge_ but), I'm not a professional and I don't have any food licenses to risk. A professional baker making cheesecakes for paying customers is going to have to be _MUCH_ stricter than I am (because licensing standards are designed so even a 1-in-a-million bad result shouldn't happen).

I would be very hesitant to cook a cheesecake in a water bath until jiggly and then dump it in an ice bath or shove it in the fridge/freezer. A "jiggly" cheesecake, by it's very definition, is not "done" cooking. If you pull it from the oven after one hour's baking and then immediately put it in the fridge, there's a good chance it won't set up all the way. A half-set cheesecake is not finished and absolutely SHOULD NOT be served. Of course, as with everything, it all depends on the recipe used, the depth of the pan and the filling, your actual oven temperatures and heating cycle, the amount of jiggle, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%