Help Please!

Decorating By ElizabethBennette Updated 21 Mar 2014 , 2:27pm by ElizabethBennette

ElizabethBennette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethBennette Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 10

I have a client wanting a wedding cake that looks like this, but she doesn't want any fondant. She wants it to be buttercream covered, with real flowers. I can't for the life of me figure out a way to have the draped look on buttercream. I thought about real material, but I think everything is going to be too heavy and mess up the buttercream.  Ideas, comments and suggestions are MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
-Danie

9 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 10

AUsually this is where some of us would say "too bad, get over it, peel off the fondant." But Edna De La Cruz has a cake that she made buttercream swags on. Maybe google her name and buttercream drapes or swags, and see if you can find it. But generally, when someone says that, it's your job to educate them about the necessity to use certain mediums to achieve satisfactory results. They can peeeeeeel the offending sugar dough off.

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 10

ARolled buttercream fondant, maybe??? Google it. It is really stiff like fondant but buttercream.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Usually this is where some of us would say "too bad, get over it, peel off the fondant." But Edna De La Cruz has a cake that she made buttercream swags on. Maybe google her name and buttercream drapes or swags, and see if you can find it.
But generally, when someone says that, it's your job to educate them about the necessity to use certain mediums to achieve satisfactory results. They can peeeeeeel the offending sugar dough off.

^^this^^

you're not a magician, though I'm sure you're magical. 

i'd rather have fondant than fabric on my cake. no reason she can't have BC on the cakes with fondant for the drape. 

don't be afraid to say no. 

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 10

If you didn't want to use fondant or rolled buttercream (honestly i've never used rolled buttercream so i have no earthly idea the consistency or ease of use) I would suggest using modeling chocolate or even look into sugarveil. it's like royal icing but can be used for fabric appliques. it's another option for you!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 10

I do fondant drapes on buttercream all the time, so you could just tell the customer that you'll have to use the fondant for the drapes if she wants that look. She doesn't have to eat the drapes part. Here's a video, I did this using dummies but I describe the  process and ratio of fondant to gumpaste etc...and if you have the cakes cold enough for the icing to be hard, it will work just fine.

costumeczar Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 10

Oh, and rolled buttercream is nasty, I think it's basically a heavy all-shortening icing with a lower ratio of sugar to fat. I don't think you'd be able to roll it out thin enough to make good-looking drapes.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 12:19am
post #8 of 10

Modeling Chocolate drapes on Buttercream icing.  Yummy Modeling Chocolate.

I have a booklet from Sugar Artist Sandy Hargrave called 'White Chocolate Draping"  from 1999.  She had a shop in Aspen, Co.

costumeczar Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 12:39am
post #9 of 10

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

Modeling Chocolate drapes on Buttercream icing.  Yummy Modeling Chocolate.

I have a booklet from Sugar Artist Sandy Hargrave called 'White Chocolate Draping"  from 1999.  She had a shop in Aspen, Co.

Ooh, good idea!

ElizabethBennette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethBennette Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 10

Thank y'all for ya'll's responses!  And thank you costumeczar for the tutorial video. I'll probably just tell them that we'll have to go with fondant covered. Thanks again for all y'all's ideas!

Danie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%