Input Please!?

Decorating By CMLayton Updated 20 Mar 2014 , 1:52pm by CMLayton

CMLayton Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 1:01am
post #1 of 6

AHello everyone. I completed my first true two tier cake last week and was curious if I could get some opinions on it. Any helpful critiques are much appreciated! I aim to learn as much as I can every time I make a cake. This was a game of thrones anniversary cake. Overall I'm happy but I tend to pick my work apart. Honesty will not offend me. Thanks in advance!

5 replies
reginaherrin Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 1:57am
post #2 of 6

Overall its pretty good.  One thing I would say is to get the tops of your cakes completely level, they are both a bit rounded.  Also, I like the grass and rocks boarder around the top tier could looks a bit off.  I think adding more rocks would have helped and not do the buttercream icing and just stick with the fondant grass.  Other then that I think it looks good.

810whitechoc Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 9:24am
post #3 of 6

Good job for your first two tier, what stood out to me was that your sides and top are not dead level.  When I was first learning I used a set square which I placed against the side of the cake to see how straight it was.  The centre of the top cake is a little too rounded.  Concentrate on getting the cake under the fondant straighter and your overall look will be more professional, as your fondant finish is quite good :)

CMLayton Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 11:20am
post #4 of 6

AThank you for the feedback! I definitely need to work on getting the cakes level. It drove me nuts. Any tips on how to make it square if its off? Do you just trim excess cake away? Thanks again!

810whitechoc Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 6

The first thing I do is trim my cake layers with a long serrated knife so I have three flat, even discs of cake.  I then stack them on top of each other on the board I am going to torte the cake on.  I then use the serrated knife to trim around the edges where necessary so when you look at it you have a flat topped, even, straight sided cake.  It is a lot easier to end up with a straight, flat cake if you start with a straight, flat cake if you know what I mean.

CMLayton Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 6

AAbsolutely! I knew I needed to fix it. I just didn't know how. I will try this on my next cake which is next week. Thanks so much for the help. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%