Opinions Plz?

Decorating By stellascake Updated 19 Mar 2014 , 11:50pm by DeniseNH

stellascake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellascake Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 10

AThis is my first fondant cake... Bottom tier is 2 layer of 8x2 and top is 2 layer 6x2... Vanilla cake, buttercream icing/filling, and marshmallow fondant!

What do you think?(also it is a piece of sparkly fabric wrapped around each tier)[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3206936/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

9 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 10

AI think it's a great first fondant cake. Were you happy with your results? Would you do anything differently next time, comparing it to other cakes you've seen that you like? I have a ton of suggestions, but I'd rather hear your thoughts first.

stellascake Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 10

AHonestly i feel like I should have used another layer for each tier so it would have Made it alot taller... Also more zebra stripes and maybe make them a little more different from each other! I'd Appreciate any feedback!

AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 10

AYep and yep! I only use two layers of cake per tier, but collar my pans with parchment paper, so they bake up a bit taller. The extra height from doing that, plus the filling, and the outer icing gives me a height of about 5 inches. You don't have to do that, 4 inches is generally the norm, but 5 looks cool. If you look on Google, at what a real zebra looks like, you'll see how you can better imitate that next time. Practice building up taller tiers, AND getting a more defined edge. Doesn't have to be perfectly squared off, in fact slightly rounded is a nice look. I used to chase sharp edges on my fondant covered cakes, but I gave up. Now I actually go and slightly round them off a bit. But you'll want to get them sharper than what you have now. Practice cutting nice straight ribbons from fondant, so the customer doesn't have to remove inedible details. You can also buy ribbon cutters that will make that easy work as well. But like I said, great job for your first cake! Keep it up, you'll only get better and better!

AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 10

AI bet your fondant is pretty thick too, which may contribute to that overly rounded look to the edges. Heavy (too thick) fondant will definitely pull down the edges and add a lot of unnecessary weight to the cake, overall. Plus, it's just gaggy anyways, and the more we can do to get our customers away from the often times hysterical aversion to fondant, the better.

mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 10

AJust want to say, as an inexperienced hobby baker, that your response, AZ, was so helpful and nice at the same time. Thank you for being a great member of this community. You and the other incredibly generous members here are why I keep lurking about.

AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 10

AWell thank you for that, I appreciate it.

stellascake Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 10

AThank you!! I have everything I need to be successful as far as the tools! i have all the cutters, rolling pins, fondant smoother, gel colors and wilton icing colors, as well as lots of pans! And the wilton beginner books and of course YouTube! Lol love all the help from this page!! Who better to critique your work than awesome cake decorators!!

stellascake Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 10

AI agree! I really appreciate the input! And how nicely it was put!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 11:50pm
post #10 of 10

You've got "the talent" .  Neatly done and we all lean with each of our creations, no matter if it's the 5th or 5000th.  That's what keeps us going and keeps it interesting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%