Bun In The Oven Cake - Help!

Decorating By thebakedcupcake Updated 19 Mar 2014 , 6:43pm by thebakedcupcake

thebakedcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebakedcupcake Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have any suggestions how to go about this cake, structure wise? 

Thank you in advance! :D

6 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 7

ALooks like a basic cube to me, very simple in the construction department. I make sure to size cakes like this as close to scale as possible, and an oven/stove top is pretty close to being a cube, so keep those dimensions in mind.

thebakedcupcake Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you, it also looks like the "inside of the oven" is cut out, once I stack and dirty ice the cake, could I just cut that area out? If so, will the structure hold? 

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 7

AWith all the rain and melting snow, all we got around here is a lot of dirty ice, too! If you really want the oven hollow, I would not carve it out of cake. Those walls look thin. I'd use something else edible. And then just stack on top of the cake. Or are they really good trumpe l'oeil painters? Good luck!

AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 7

AYou can carve out a slight bit and it won't compromise the structure, but you certainly don't have to. A panel of black fondant and some lightly painted lines to imitate racks would probably do the trick. I'd probably figure outa way to make it look like the light was on too.

AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 7

AAnd put more than a crumb coat on. People don't want to sacrifice buttercream because they're getting a fondant covered cake. Pretty sure this is one of the reasons some people have an aversion to fondant, because they've had a cake that barely had any buttercream underneath. Not fair to them, I say! ;-)

thebakedcupcake Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the advice!! I always try to give them more then enough frosting, it's one of my favorite parts of eating cake, so I wouldn't want to take that away from anyone else! lol  :lol:

Would you all suggest gumpaste or fondant for the cookbook, knobs, etc? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%