How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By EIPHNH Updated 2 Apr 2014 , 4:25am by SystemMod2

EIPHNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EIPHNH Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 13

It's a 3 layer chocolate mud cake with white ganache filling, and it serves 12 persons. How much would you price for it?

Thanks in advance!!!

12 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 13
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 3:00am
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

Let me google that for you.

Learn how to price cakes. Then you won't have to ask the question every time you have another cake.

waggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waggs Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 4:06am
post #4 of 13

AWow!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 4:14am
post #5 of 13

What is Google?  :-D  How do I use Google?

That cake is beautiful, it would be expensive but I have no idea how much you should charge.

hmcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmcakery Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 4:35am
post #6 of 13

EIPHNH, it's a beautiful cake. There are many variables that affect the price of your creation. There is a lot of great information on this site about how to determine what that price should be. Just type "how to price a cake" in the search bar at the top and you will find many posts that address this. Unfortunately, there are also comments to be ignored by folks who bully those who are new to the business. It's unfortunate and sad because at one point they were newbies too. Best wishes to you!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 13

Bullying? I hear that word a lot these days.  I don't see bullying so much. What I see is persons new to the business asking questions and then rejecting answers of seasoned professionals because they don't like what they hear or don't understand. When the seasoned veteran gets annoyed that their good advice was treated like dirt, then the new person plays the victim and calls bully.

Eiphnh, price is based on market value of your cake.  You find market value from checking out prices of competitors. You have to be careful that you find competitors that know how to price their products and you can't just see that they charge a certain amount per serving on their website. That's not likely to tell you what a custom cake price will be.  For example, my website says my cakes start at $5 per serving, but after certain things are added in, the price may be more like $7.50 or more per serving.

Usually a storefront bakery is pricing correctly. Your cakes may be higher quality.  For example maybe your cakes look the same as theirs, but they use canned icing and you make yours using real butter, then you'd charge more for higher quality.

You calculate your costs so you know if you'd make a profit if you sell cake for its market value. But your costs do not determine price.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 13

So now we can't show someone how to use Google to search Cake Central?

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 13

AI was wondering the same thing.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 9:37pm
post #10 of 13

AWhat did I miss? Googling to find things here is what I do. I still go to Google even if I know what I want to find is here. You go to advance search, and restrict the results to a certain website, in this case, cake central.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 13

I'd like to know what the problem is. For pricing, I always direct people to Google and insert the cake central pricing links. That way it's easier for them to find all the threads.

hmcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmcakery Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 2:37am
post #12 of 13

The posts I referred to are no longer here which is why this isn't making sense to you :)

SystemMod2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod2 Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 4:25am
post #13 of 13

"Let me google that for you" (http://lmgtfy.com/)  is a well-known backhand method of telling someone that they should use Google to find their answers for themselves.

Mimifix and Shanter, I am sure you know what I mean.

The OP, for whatever reason, wanted to know how much THIS cake would cost, not how to price a cake in general.

HOWEVER, 

The OP, being a newbie, clearly has no idea that this topic has been discussed at length, often heatedly, on Cake Central, and a question for which there is NO ANSWER. As I said, during the last flare-up:

As has been discussed in NUMEROUS threads, and highlighted again in this thread (eg.   http://cakecentral.com/t/764674/a-serious-rational-discussion-about-pricing), there are many, many resources out there, both paid and free, that ANY legal business can access to help develop ways of pricing their own products.

But there are basics that apply to any business. These points have been discussed innumerable times, on this forum, every single time a pricing question is asked.

Anyone beginning a business needs to have an understanding of pricing to cover costs, overheads, wages and profit. If they do not understand these basics, they need to seek professional assistance.

Non-approved, "Illegal" businesses have no business selling cakes. This is also well-known and has also been discussed at length in this cake forum.

To the OP: basically nobody can, or should, tell you how much to price a cake you have made. You might as well ask how long is a piece of extruded gumpaste. You need to work out a pricing system on your own.

Please take some time to familiarize yourself with Cake Central, including using the search bar to help you find answers to your questions. However, you are not going to get an answer to this particular question.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%