Commercial/retail Peeps- Do You Store Mixes If You Use Them?

Business By luvscakes Updated 18 Mar 2014 , 10:25am by natt12321

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 3:05am
post #1 of 2

Ok, I'm not looking to start the "from scratch or not debate", can't we be done with that? :)

I'm opening a retail shop May 1st, and I will be real, I have NO IDEA what I'm doing. I'll be small, and offer cupcakes for walk in traffic, while still doing custom orders.

I'm a cheap skate so I'm buying busy buying used equipment and remodeling my space. (Was a bakery a few years ago so I am plumbed, grease trapped and have great electrical.

The stuff that's killing me now is storage. I use mixes for a lot of my cake bases (but not all). I have found a rep who sells DH in 50# bags but I will need large quantities of some flavors in the box. 

Do I spend a day opening them and pouring them into a large container so I can measure/scoop weigh them and save time? Or do I leave them in the box and open them one at a time upon use?? (The thought of that makes me want to pull out my hair.)

I've spent 15 years perfecting my recipes, so I'm NOT going all scratch on some of the flavors. Any thoughts on how this will work?

1 reply
natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 10:25am
post #2 of 2

Are there not caterers size bags available? I know here most people don't realise stuff comes in larger sizes till they go to the wholesalers or discover companies like Bako who do bakery supplies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%