Preparing For Farmer's Market

Lounge By Bluebird Cookie Updated 18 Mar 2014 , 12:06pm by Bluebird Cookie

Bluebird Cookie Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 2:29am
post #1 of 3

Hello. I am new around here, but I've been baking my whole life. My only real training involved taking the Wilton Cake Decorating classes about three decades ago! I've done cakes mostly for family over the years but my love of baking has taken me on a quest to try my hand at an at-home bakery. 

Part of getting the word out about the bakery is going to be participating in a farmer's market this season. Being a vendor is new to me so I'm hoping you all have the knowledge to help with some questions! I've been squirming ever since I found out the FM Board approved my application!  (I am already licensed, insured and approved by the Health Dept., so now I'm down to the nitty gritty!)

Ok, here goes: I've seen those clamshell type containers that are good for cupcakes and cookies. . .is this what I should use, and where would I go about buying at wholesale? 

Also, I like cream cheese buttercream, but not sure how (or if) there is a way that it can withstand the hot summers in the Midwest where I live.  Suggestions? 

I don't know what I don't know, so I guess those are the most pressing questions I have right now. Any tips or tricks you may have for the best way to navigate a Farmer's Market scenario would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

2 replies
7031annie Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 6:18am
post #2 of 3

AI was able to speak with the baker in one of the grocery store bakeries in my town . When I need clamshell containers she will order extras for me when she places orders with her distributor. As for cream cheese buttercream I saw a cream cheese emulsion at one of the stores I buy extracts and flavorings. I have not used it but it may be an option.

Bluebird Cookie Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 3

AThank you, 7031annie. Those are good ideas. I'll try that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%