Cupcakes And Roses - Oh My!

Decorating By KatieCakez Updated 17 Mar 2014 , 6:59pm by Unlimited

KatieCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieCakez Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 7

Hi CC community,

I am looking for some insight on the best balance of cost and ease when it comes to making some sort of edible rose decoration for the top of a cupcake.

I have been asked to make 150 wedding cupcakes and 1 small cutting cake for the wedding of one of my best friend's family members. The young lady getting married has a small budget and I told her that if she could buy the supplies, I would make everything, obviously at no additional cost.

She tells me she would like roses on all of the cupcakes. Aye aye aye! My first thought was that she could just purchase royal icing roses. I priced them out at about $60 for all the cupcakes. While it isn't that much, considering it's 150 people's worth of decorations, I am willing to bet that they were probably hoping to spend about that much on the supplies for the whole project.

So that leaves making all of them by hand...8O this may not seem daunting to you pros, but I am not lightening fast!

I would assume the icing route would be the cheapest, but I would need to make them in advance, so I worry about storage, fading, etc. I also have no clue how much icing it would take to make this qty of flowers.

I could do fondant/gumpaste but I also worry about fading issues, and again, don't really know how much material would be needed to make the necessary qty of flowers. I usually buy it in a 5lb tub but I've never made this qty of flowers before.

I'd also love it if you guys know of any good tutorials for either kind that have helped you get roses done quickly and easily.

Since these will be going on standard size cupcakes, the flowers wont be any larger than 1.5" in diameter. The wedding is in 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 7

AThese are really affordable and very easy to use.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/rose-fondant-mold

Krypto Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 7

AI can't tell you how much fondant you will need but you can make them way ahead of time. You could make 160 of these in a few hours. Make sure you allow plenty of time for shipping.

KatieCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieCakez Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypto 

These are really affordable and very easy to use.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/rose-fondant-mold

Well I'll be damned. I didn't even think to look for something like that! :) Thank you! :)

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 7

ASince you'll need to make them ahead of time id use fondant. Keep them in a cardboard box away from direct light once they have dried. get the mold...it will go pretty fast

Krypto Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 7
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieCakez 

So that leaves making all of them by hand...8O this may not seem daunting to you pros, but I am not lightening fast!

I would assume the icing route would be the cheapest, but I would need to make them in advance, so I worry about storage, fading, etc.

Here's a video how I make a pan of 48 roses in 5 minutes:

(read the text below the video for more info)

http://media.photobucket.com/user/Unlimited1cakes/media/20090718_013631.mp4.html?filters[term]=how%20to%20make%20buttercream%20roses%20on%20a%20stick&filters[primary]=videos&filters[secondary]=images&sort=1&o=0

I think even if you aren't fast at piping roses, it would probably be the most cost effective and quickest way with buttercream, rather than hand-formed petals.

If you use buttercream, let them air dry at least a couple/few days in advance -- a week before would be even better (just cover with parchment paper so they don't get dusty).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%