Help! My Cookies Are Spreading!!

Baking By Simii Updated 17 Mar 2014 , 10:18pm by emetz74

Simii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Simii Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 7

Help! I dont know what to do. I have made sugar cookies before using the recipe on Sweetopia and they turned out fine. I am in a bake off tomorrow...I have to have 300 hundred samples. I have already made 200 cupcakes and have all my cake made for my cakepops the last thing i need to do is the sugar cookies. I made the dough a few days ago and put it in the fridg. I rolled them out and cut them and even froze the cut out cookies and they are spreading! I dont know if its because i made the dough in advance or because i live at 6100 elevation and my oven is a POS (i have 2 thermometers in the oven). any ideas? OH! i also never use a warm cookie sheet. Thanks so much for any help :)

6 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 7

Making the dough in advance should not affect spread.

emetz74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emetz74 Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 7

I take the baking powder out and I freeze my dough for a couple hours after they are cut out. I then put them on the cookie sheets and put then in the refrigerator and I put them in the oven cold. I also rotate the pans halfway through baking. Mine do not spread at all.

Simii Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by emetz74 

I take the baking powder out and I freeze my dough for a couple hours after they are cut out. I then put them on the cookie sheets and put then in the refrigerator and I put them in the oven cold. I also rotate the pans halfway through baking. Mine do not spread at all.

what recipe do you use? i dont use the baking powder either and everything is chilled pan and dough

emetz74 Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 10:32am
post #5 of 7

In my KA stand mixer, I mix together 1 cup salted butter with 2 cups sugar. I then mix in two eggs. After that, I put in a teaspoon of clear vanilla, 2 tablespoons of milk, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 3.5 cups of flour. I chill it for a couple of hours before I roll  (usually that's too stiff so I let it sit out for about an hour, maybe a little more, so I can roll it) then I stick the cut ones in the freezer and go from there.

I hope this makes sense. I am no professional but I love to make and give cookies so I do them quite a bit. Good luck!

Simii Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 7

AThank you I will try it!

emetz74 Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 7

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%