blwilley Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 1:31am
post #1 of

YEA!!  I have a new recipe to share!  Just made it today, so will have to wait to see if it changes, or loses it's shine, in any way.  Just could not WAIT!  This is a result of watching the DecoGel tutorial.  Was that just yesterday??! lol

Any & all comments are welcome.  Everything is always subject to change.

Homemade 'GEL for Decorating Cakes' Recipe

2 envelopes (1/2 oz.) Knox Gelatine
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup glycerin, WARMED
    1 tsp-heaping, glucose/clear corn syrup
1/6 tsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp, or more, of any flavoring, use clear extracts for clear results     
       any color to desired hue (optional-recommended!).

Combine gelatin & water, microwave 20 seconds.  Heat another 20 seconds if needed.
Stir WARM glycerine in well.
Stir in glucose well.
Add in coconut oil, flavoring, and desired amount of color(optional), and stir well.  Microwave another 20 seconds.  It is ready.

Easiest way to fill a mold with fine detail is with a syringe, tiny hole in a piping bag or baggy, etc.... 
Can use a silicone or any flexible cup to pour mix into a less detailed mold.  Do not overfill, can move mix around in the mold with a toothpick to fill smaller cavities, but this must be done quickly, or it will begin to set, same as with isomalt.  If it sets too fast, just use the skewer to place a drop or 2 of mix where needed to complete the design. 
Can refrigerate a few minutes to speed up setting process.
Totally edible too.  

A few more things about this recipe.
This stuff is very soft & flexible, yet quite strong.  It is nice & glossy.  If you use a syringe & keep the mix in the mold cavity, even the holes in the lacy ones will be as they should be!

I flavored mine, this first batch, with almond, but only used 1/8 tsp.  When I tasted it, even with the almond in it, it was pretty bland.  So I doubled the amt. for the recipe above, but you may want even more.  Experiment!  A nice cherry flavor, like that of Jello, would be nice for red, a lemon for yellow, and maybe an apple, mint, or watermelon, for green.  Can add extra sweeteners if desired, just make sure they are melted/combined well.  Maybe increase the amount of extract/flavoring? 

If you want it a little thinner, just use less gelatin, or add a wee bit more water.

I did the clear ones first.  For the colored 'gummies' in the picture above, I cut the leftover, setup, mix into smaller pieces & remelted it, put a little into 2 separate cups, added a little red to one, and a little yellow, (using the same red dye stick-a definite NO-NO!), to the other. It worked very well as you can see.   I use a wooden skewer to stir my mix, it can be left in the bowl while in the microwave for less mess, keep it in a baggy, & it can be reused over & over. 

Everything in the pictures came from one batch, and you can see the leftovers sitting on top of the lid with the skewer stuck in it.  Plus the little teeny bit of yellow that I pulled out of the little white silicone cup.  Bought that cup for pouring isomalt, works perfect here too!  Same principle.

Forgot to add that cleanup for this recipe is a breeze.  Just let it cool in the cup, or container, then just lift it out, all in one neat little piece!  Just throw it back in the bowl, & put on the lid, to be remelted later for reuse.

I'm going to have to put up a PayPal donation site, as part of my retirement fund!  For this, and my Food Safe 'Mold' Recipe. lol, & lol!
54 replies
blwilley Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 1:42am
post #2 of
UPDATE!!
I just finished remelting the remainder of the first batch, sprinkled on a teeny, tiny bit of grape Kool-Aid, stirred it in, and WOW! The color was intense, almost black, and the flavor was terrific.  I DO recommend using Kool-Aid, quick easy, cheap & VERY effective way of getting both color, and flavor!  Can't wait to try Cherry!  But apparently, a little goes a longggg way with this stuff!

blwilley Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 2:09am
post #3 of

We have a NEW NAME for the recipe:

'GummyGel' For Decorating Cakes Recipe

I kinda like this one better...lol

dreamacres Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 5:00am
post #4 of

Thank you so much for sharing all your hard work!!!!  

morganchampagne Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 5:47am
post #5 of

ASo is it like gummy bears?

blwilley Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 1:52pm
post #6 of

dreamacres, you are quite WELCOME!!  And thanks!  Bonnie

blwilley Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 2:04pm
post #7 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

So is it like gummy bears?

Hi Morgan!

It is like a Fruit Snack, only much, much easier to chew!  Not nearly as hard, in fact, not hard at all.  But the gummy part, and the flavor, when using koolaid at least, is there.  It tends to melt in the mouth.

As is, it is bland tasting.  It is not real sweet, but you can add a sweetener if you wish.  I probably will try just that the next time I make it.  I was lucky, in that the very first batch I made, turned out just the way I had hoped.

It does not have any confectioners sugar, so does not have that candy 'feel', in the mouth, to it.

Hope this helps.  If you have edible glycerin, & coconut oil, try it.  I am sure you will like it. Here's hoping!!  Please let me know?!

morganchampagne Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 8:32pm
post #8 of

AOhhhhhh im going to try it and report back! Im probably going to just eat them. They wont make them to a cake. I.loooooooove fruit snacks!

blwilley Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 2:52am
post #9 of
 Hi everyone,

This youtube tutorial is about the product that I was trying to make, when I made my 'GummyGel' for Decorating Cakes Recipe.  This will give a fuller idea of the properties I was trying to incorporate, & what you can & cannot do with the stuff.  With this tutorial you can decide just how close I came to the 'real deal', as they say. lol

JWinslow Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 2:23pm

The inventor has struck again!!!  Have you put this on icing or fondant to see if changes?  Would you attach it with water?
I love how excited you get - :)

blwilley Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 3:30pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow 

The inventor has struck again!!!  Have you put this on icing or fondant to see if changes?  Would you attach it with water?
I love how excited you get - :)

I don't have a cake ready to try it on!

But, the DecoGel video will show about what it does.

In the 'DecoGel by IcingImages' video, they say to attach it with more melted mix, not water, because it might start to dissolve.  Also, that heat will soften it, which I found out by leaving it in the sun, in the car, when taking it to my sister for her opinion, for what it's worth! lol!

When using the KOOL-AID to color, and flavor it with, you just might have a little more chance of the color leaching into your fondant, not sure.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 3:36pm

If we don't have coconut oil, can we use something else in its place?  What happens if you just leave it out?

morganchampagne Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 3:39pm

AI made them yesterday!! It works pretty good I have to say! I think it would be very pretty as a border or something...in the video they make some kind of wall paper thing with it.

I didn't get any pictures...as promised I ate them lol. I flavored them with cherry kool aid. Very very tasty. I had a thought also. For people who dont like fondantthis ccould be great! I do worry about color bleeding...I'll have to expirement

blwilley Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 3:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 

If we don't have coconut oil, can we use something else in its place?  What happens if you just leave it out?

Coconut oil is used as a solvent.  I do not know, have not tried another oil, or just leaving it out.  If you do either, or both, and it works, please let me know.   

And thanks in advance!

blwilley Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 3:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

I made them yesterday!! It works pretty good I have to say! I think it would be very pretty as a border or something...in the video they make some kind of wall paper thing with it.

I didn't get any pictures...as promised I ate them lol. I flavored them with cherry kool aid. Very very tasty. I had a thought also. For people who dont like fondantthis ccould be great! I do worry about color bleeding...I'll have to expirement

THANK YOU for such a glowing feedback!  I was hoping you would like it. 

As to the wall paper effect, I think the stickiness of the gel, when spread on the sugar design on the paper, and left to set, probably at least several hours-or overnight?, just picks up the design off the background paper.  If you have it, and try it, let us know!  Remember to always warm it just before pouring, will have a few seconds longer to work with it that way, before it starts to set up.

ibmoser Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 9:19pm

Just tried this - amazing!!!  Soft, flexible, easy to remove from molds.  I made one clear flower, then added powdered titanium dioxide to make it opaque white.  Looks like shiny fondant.  I then added a little pink gel color to the white mix to get the pink flowers.  There is a bubble in one of the flowers that I didn't fill in, but...  Thank you so much for sharing this formula.  I will leave my experiments out for a while to see how they age.  You are giving Bill Nye, the Science Guy, a run for his money.Image Resized at http://www.shrinkpictures.com

ibmoser Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 9:21pm

Geez -  bad photo.  Sorry.  I'll do better later when I try more molds.

blwilley Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 9:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibmoser 

Just tried this - amazing!!!  Soft, flexible, easy to remove from molds.  I made one clear flower, then added powdered titanium dioxide to make it opaque white.  Looks like shiny fondant.  I then added a little pink gel color to the white mix to get the pink flowers.  There is a bubble in one of the flowers that I didn't fill in, but...  Thank you so much for sharing this formula.  I will leave my experiments out for a while to see how they age.  You are giving Bill Nye, the Science Guy, a run for his money.

Image Resized at http://www.shrinkpictures.com

Wow, thanks for the great feedback!  I was having so much fun with it, that I hoped everyone would at least give it a try.  Now, after your terrific post, they just might be encouraged to do so! lol  Keepum coming! Thanks again!!

blwilley Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 

Thank you so much for posting these terrific cakes!

Everyone always sends me pics of JUST what they want.  I seldom get to do anything near as inventive as these.  Wish I could use your baby shower one for my grand niece's baby shower next month!  She has already changed her mind 3 times, so I am not doing it till that morning!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 12:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blwilley 

Thank you so much for posting these terrific cakes!

Everyone always sends me pics of JUST what they want.  I seldom get to do anything near as inventive as these.  Wish I could use your baby shower one for my grand niece's baby shower next month!  She has already changed her mind 3 times, so I am not doing it till that morning!

Because I don't depend on cake for a living, I usually wind up telling them what they want.  Once they tell me their budget, I give them a few options and price points and go from there.  The bassinette grandma said her budget was $60, for 20 servings, we settled on $75 (just over $3.50 per) in the end and she sent someone to pick it up because she didn't want to pay $25 for delivery.  It probably cost her more in gas than the delivery would have been. 

blwilley Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 3:27pm

My grandson did a batch using cherry Kool-Aid, and the kids just loved it!

blwilley Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 10:05pm

For those that missed it, here is another recipe, & tutorial, for 'GUMMIES"! 

Posted byhobby4mom on cakecentral.com

How to Make Gummy Gems

closeup large gem

Confectionery House 'Gummy' Recipe  

5 Tablespoons Great Lakes unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup cold water
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup glucose
2 ½ to 3 teaspoons extract or a few drops of LorAnn Oil flavoring to taste
Food color of choice

Directions: Microwave

1. In a 4 cup microwave safe bowl or measuring cup combine 5 level tablespoons unflavored gelatin and ¾ cups cold water, stir to blend and let bloom (a consistency of stiff applesauce).

2. Add 2/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup of glucose, stir to blend. Place in the microwave 30 seconds at a time and stir slowly as to not incorporate air.  You may need to do this 4-5 times to completely dissolve the sugar and gelatin

3. Place back in microwave for another 30 seconds, depending on your microwave, you may have to repeat this process for a total of 2 minutes to insure the sugar has dissolved. 

4. Let your mixture set until almost firm so the air bubbles come to the top and the gummy is clear on the bottom.  Can remove bubbles now, or reheat & spoon off the white foam . 

5. Once completely melted, add flavoring and color.

6. Can pour mixture into plastic candy molds.   Or into a plastic squeeze bottle, then into mold for better control.  Squeeze bottles can melt so only microwave for 5 or 6 seconds at a time, reheating as needed for consistency.  Fill your gem mold starting from the outside of the cavity and working your way in to the center. Be sure to keep the tip of the bottle down into the liquid to avoid air bubbles while filling.

7. Place mold in freezer for 5 minutes, or fridge for about 20 minutes.

8. When firm, unmold by carefully peeling the gems out of the mold.  Set on waxed paper, or silicone liners, because they will be quite sticky.

9. You can at this point lightly oil your hands with either canola or vegetable oil and using your oiled hands, coat the gummies. This last part is helpful, but can dull the gems.  The less they are handled, the shinier they will remain, no fingerprints, same as with isomalt!

Directions: Stovetop

1. In a small heavy saucepan combine 5 level tablespoons unflavored gelatin and ¾ cup cold water, let sit until the consistency of stiff applesauce.

2. Add sugar and glucose, stir until blended.

3. Place the saucepan over medium heat until all ingredients look melted.

4. Once completely melted, add flavoring and color.

5. Pour into plastic candy molds and place in freezer for 5 minutes.

6. When firm remove from mold.

blwilley Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 1:26am

Here is the cake we made for my sister's granddaughter's BS.

It is decorated with GummyGel beads, circles, & giraffes.

The GummyGel stuck to the buttercream very nicely, and we used sugar glue to put them on the fondant blanket, which worked well. 

Of course, GummyGel tends to stick to most things very well! lol  I made the cake, baby, and blanket, while Nancy made these cute giraffes, the beads, circles, & the lettering with the Tap-it set..

MBalaska Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 1:53am

They don't melt?  They stay firm and rubbery like a gummy bear candy when left out at room temperature?

blwilley Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 6:38pm

Hi MBalaska,

They do not melt at room temp.  And they seem to get more stable with age.  I still have some from my first batch, the clear ones, that have been on the table that my hubby set up for me in the breakfast area (so I would have good light, gotta luv him!), this entire time.  You can pick one up right now, and swing it around, and it will not break, it is that flexible.  And if it dulls from handling, just wipe with a slight trace of oil on your finger, wipe some off, & you are right back in business.  I took some to church for the grands this morning, and the lady beside us had some.  She makes candy, and loved the ones done with my 'little bug' molds, so I told her where to get them.  I had quite a collection of the smaller, cheaper, molds before I came up with my food safe mold recipe, for making the larger molds, so I would not have to buy them, since they were far too pricey for me!   Here are the ones I played with yesterday.  This time I only did clear, green, & copper.  The light purple mix, looks blue here, was left over form the cake from the weekend, & I just remelted & poured it into my homemade bead mold.   I took all of the smaller ones to church this morning, they were flavored with mint, Ethan's favorite.  Happy Easter!

MBalaska Posted 20 Apr 2014 , 6:45pm

interesting Thank You.

blwilley Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 3:48am

Hello everyone!

~~~~I am having so much fun playing with the GummyGel!

You can do items with great detail, and it does not have to be babied like items made from fondant or gumpaste.

This stuff is very flexible, & practically indestructible. lol

And it is easy to eat, and tastes good when flavored properly.

So please try it, you will like it!!

blwilley Posted 5 May 2014 , 10:14pm

I have made some GummyGel Gems.  They turned out very well.  Released from the mold easily.  They are flavored according to color, orange is orange, red is cherry, green is mint,  with the blue being strawberry, & the clear diamonds being a vanilla/almond combo.  You DO want to clarify the gel for a nice clear gem.

Here are my version of GummyGel Gems for decorating a cake.  And they taste good too!  The red rubies are cherry flavored, the sapphires are in strawberry, the emeralds are in pure mint, the clear diamonds are flavored with almond & clear vanilla, while the orange gems are, surprisingly, done in, you guessed it, orange. lol The recipe for GummyGel can be found on my site here: http://cakecentral.com/t/769021/homemade-gel-for-decorating-cakes-recipe

And I made some more lace.  You do have to work fast here, or it will start to set & pull the material back out of the mold as you are scraping off the top with the bench scraper, offset spatula blade, edge of spatula, etc...  It seems to work as long as the pattern is not too fine & tiny.  I did some coloring, after making the GummyGel opaque first, and it does have a good effect, kind of like colored fondant.

Here we have some lace made with the GummyGel for decorating a cake.  It works well, as long as the pattern is not too fine.  And again, it tastes great when flavored properly, so is quite edible.  Yummy actually.  Recipe for GummyGel can be found on my site here: http://cakecentral.com/t/769021/homemade-gel-for-decorating-cakes-recipe

There are so many ways to use this recipe.  If you have tried it, please, do post some pictures for inspiration!

blwilley Posted 16 May 2014 , 12:23am
Here is an up-dated version of the GummyGel recipe that I made after watching the DecoGel by IcingImages tutorial.
Any & all comments are welcome.  Everything is always subject to change. 

'GummyGel' For Decorating Cakes Recipe

1/4 cup glycerin, WARMED
   2 envelopes (1/2 oz.) Knox Gelatine
1/4 c. water
   1 tsp. glucose/clear corn syrup, more if desired
1/6 tsp. coconut oil
1/6 tsp., or as desired, of any clear flavoring.      
      any desired color to desired hue (optional).
      or
      Kool-Aid is recommended for both color & flavor as an alternative.

( I am working with an 850watt microwave, be sure to adjust time/power settings as needed.  For 1,100watt- use 50% power setting.)
1. Warm glycerin & set aside.
2. Combine gelatin & water, stir.  Microwave 20 seconds, stir, may microwave another 15 seconds if needed to completely dissolve.  (If you are only working with one color, you can dissolve it well in the water before adding the gelatine.) 
3. Stir warm glycerin in well.  Must be warm.
4. Stir in glucose well.
5. Add in coconut oil, and stir well. Microwave another 20 seconds.  It is ready. 
6.This is when I usually pour only the amount I need into a smaller cup, add my flavoring & coloring as desired, and pour into my mold.  Can be flavored without color for the diamond effect.  I repeat this procedure as needed to fill all necessary molds for my project, one little cup at a time...('-') 

Tips & hints:

It starts out nice & clear.  I only color, and flavor, the amount I need, in a separate bowl, for each project.  Leave the rest as is, and it can be reheated for later use, colored and flavored as needed, then.  Clarifying works well here, especially when doing GummyGel gems.

I DO recommend using Kool-Aid, quick easy, cheap & VERY effective way of getting both color, and flavor! 

Can use a silicone, or any flexible, cup to pour mix into a less detailed mold.  Do not overfill, can move mix around in the mold with a toothpick to fill smaller cavities, but this must be done quickly, or it will begin to set.   If it starts to setup before you are done, reheat remaining mix as needed to complete project.  I often have 2 cups, with different color & flavors, going at the same time, for a 2 toned effect in the finished product.

Can refrigerate 5, or up to 20, minutes or more, to speed up setting process.  The longer it sets up, the stronger it will be.  Remember, it sets fast!  Totally edible too.  With proper flavoring, the kids, big & little, all love it!  It's melt in your mouth delicious!

If you want it a little thinner, add a wee bit more water.  If you need it thicker, less water, or more gelatin.  I use a wooden skewer to stir my mix, it can be left in the bowl while in the microwave for less mess, just wash it off & keep it in a baggy, & it can be reused over & over.  

Keeps well, in or out of the fridge.  Cleanup for this recipe is a breeze.  Let it cool in the cup, or container, then just lift it out, all in one neat little piece!  Just put it back in the container, & put on the lid, to be remelted later for reuse.  Any leftover gummies themselves can also be reheated, & repoured, to make new molds at a later time.  Always label your leftovers.

blwilley Posted 16 May 2014 , 2:36am

Some were asking about how well they hold up.  These, in the picyure, were from my original batch from 3-13-14'.  They are just over 2 months old.  They have been on this red cutting board, sitting out on the table, in the alcove with the 5 French doors all together, so it gets a lot of sunlight. lol  As you can see, they have held up wonderfully.  Still very flexible, & sturdy.  Have not been treated with the extra oil, so are in their original condition.  And they have been handled a lot.  You can even see the air bubbles in them, for this was before I learned about clarifying them!  Even though I have made 2 recipes so far, of which I am rather proud, remember that I am still rather new to all things cake, and all that it entails. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%