Don't Wanna Make The Kids Sick!!!

Baking By cakehappymommy Updated 14 Mar 2014 , 2:38am by kellyk1234

cakehappymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakehappymommy Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 12:29am
post #1 of 6

AMy daughter'a 1st bday is on sat...Thursday night (today) I just baked 100 cupcakes...waited for them to cool off...placed then in large plastic containers with paper towels at the bottom and closed the lid...I took a peek about 20 mins later and noticed "sweating." Is this bad? As in, I'm going to frost them sat am, but could the sweating induce mold growth or of that nature? I just don't want anybody sick. I used Betty C cake mix for the cupcakes...I'm worried of I'll leave the containers open, my cupcakes will be dry by sat....I have a lot to do plus care for her, so in really trying to work in advance. Please, any experiences? I can't fit them in the fridge....is sweating good/bad? It just seems like it'll cause bacterial growth or something...I'm an RN and I'm a bit of a germaphobe too..go figure...but would really appreciate the help....also, should I cover them and place them on our covered back porch since it's like 30' outdoors? It's that ok?? Thank u in advance

5 replies
kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 12:36am
post #2 of 6

Did you let them cool completely? This only happens to me when I put them in an airtight container while they may still be a little warm, even though they feel cool to the touch. I let mine cool for a few hours before putting them in containers. 

cakehappymommy Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 12:37am
post #3 of 6

AI thought I did...I guess I'll open them up and let them cool a little longer...thank you

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 1:02am
post #4 of 6

If that was me I would just pop them in the freezer (I would take off the lid of the container and glad wrap around the containers, lid back on and a couple more layers of glad wrap then into the freezer) - pull them out the morning of the party and ice them with a buttercream while they are still frozen - come party time they should be all defrosted and ready to go, fresh and mould free :-)

cakehappymommy Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 2:04am
post #5 of 6

AI wish if our refrigerator were that big...we have the two door type...the geezer is long and narrow...I left them open for a few...gonna close the lid and check on them again...if they are still sweaty I may just toss em and sat am...ugh...

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 2:38am
post #6 of 6

AThey should be fine. Maybe cover them with a towel that way air can still flow through. Good luck! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%