Crumbs Getting Into Icing

Decorating By preciousalwayz Updated 14 Mar 2014 , 6:56pm by DeniseNH

preciousalwayz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciousalwayz Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 6

AWhile icing a cake how do you avoid the actual cake crumbs from mixing into the icing???

5 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 6

that is good info, but i think most of us chill our cakes between the crumb coat and the final coat. it makes smoothing much easier, especially if you are using a meringue butter cream. 

preciousalwayz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciousalwayz Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 6

AI read the link from baking bites on what is a crumb coat. Ive done this but still seem to get crumbs in my icing even after a crumb coat

sweetiecakesb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiecakesb Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 6

Many may do this, but I freeze my cakes and then crumb coat.  Once the crumb coat goes on it firms up and practically freezes as well. Then I chill it and then frost it.  I have never had a crumb problem since I started freezing first.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 6

Another hint is to hold your cake over the sink and lightly brush off any loose crumbs before you apply your crumb coat then go ahead and put the crumb coat on then pop the cake in the freezer for a half hour then apply the top coat - you won't see any crumbs.  OH and make sure to isolate your crumb coat frosting from your final coat so that crumbs from the crumbcoat icing doesn't transfer to the final coat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%