Coffee Flavored Cake And Or Icing? Help.

Baking By johnbailey64 Updated 18 Mar 2014 , 12:57pm by johnbailey64

johnbailey64 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 8

AI've never done a coffee flavored cake. I'm thinking of just flavoring the icing. Can anyone help with recipes? Please. :-)

7 replies
MimiFix Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 8
craftybanana Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 8

A search on the forums here would  help you out a lot, someone asked a similar question about what flavorings to pair with coffee. I love chocolate/espresso as it's a great combo, I do that with my brownies (using a couple of tablespoons of instant coffee). Look up recipes for Mocha frosting as well if you just want a plain cake with a coffee icing. That said, any cake goes well with coffee flavoring in my opinion. If you need inspiration on flavorings to pair it with, go to a coffee shop and see what flavor syrups they use. To just add some coffee flavoring to an existing recipe, just add a few spoonfuls of instant coffee and go from there.

:smile: 

johnbailey64 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks! I had done a search, and searched Mocha, but still felt I needed direction. A lot of the recipes didn't have comments or not great ones,

Also if you just search coffee cake.. it's not coffee flavor..lol...

I live in a small rural town.. no coffee shops here at all.

I think I may try a basic chocolate cake with brewed coffee instead of water, and a Mocha Frappichino icing recipe I found. Hoping it's good. Its a birthday cake. I think I'm going to try to make a topper with a cup of coffee with a fondant figure swimming in it... We shall see!

It's for Saturday, so I've gotta finalize my plans today.

Thanks again.

Linda

craftybanana Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 8

Brew your coffee strong then!

Some flavors at coffee shops are:

Hazelnut

Vanilla

Chocolate (Milk, Dark)

Toffee

Butterscotch

White Chocolate-my favorite ;)

Cinnamon

Caramel

Mint/Peppermint

I did a search on here for just "Coffee", then clicked on recipes. I got loads of recipes for coffee icing and coffee flavored cakes. Try "espresso" as a search term too.

khamilton Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 8

AThere is coffee extract in the baking isle along w/ the vanilla, etc at my local Food Lion. Also mix instant coffee granules right in w/ batter or icing.

johnbailey64 Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks guys. I ended up adding strong ( I thought) brewed coffee to the cake batter in place of water. I used a chocolate cake. Maybe I could taste a hint of coffee, but not much.

However, for the icing, I used the Mocha Frappichino recipe I found on here for the base and tweeked it a bit. It used instant coffee. I think it turned out pretty good. You could taste and even smell the coffee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%