Fondant Won't Work After Coloring.

Decorating By mgreen44 Updated 13 Mar 2014 , 4:03pm by ellavanilla

mgreen44 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 3

AI've been using the same homemade fondant recipe for a while, but I've realized that if I ever have to color it to a deep color it gets all crumbly and and gritty. I've searched throuh threads addressing this problem and they all pretty much same to knead it more, out extra PS in, or microwave it or use shortening. I've tried all of these multiple times. I love the way my fondant covers - when the cake is white or a light color.

Could it just be the recipe I'm using? It's not marshmallow. I'm getting so tired or havi to throw out fondant and go buy premise stuff (there's only two brands, wilton and anoth available here. They're both expensive and not tasty)

Has anyone else had this continuous problem? Did you switch reciepes? If so can anyone suggest a good one :(

2 replies
SweetShop5 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 3

I gave up on home made fondant because that kept happening. I just buy the fondant now, but have you tried adding water to it? It might help.

ellavanilla Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 3

i agree, add some water. it will get super sticky once it's thoroughly moistened, then I coat my hands in some shortening and continue to kneed. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%