Binder/folder Cake

Decorating By jiya11 Updated 22 Mar 2014 , 2:22pm by Eachna

jiya11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiya11 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 1:29am
post #1 of 10

A[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3203486/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Hello everyone, I am a hobbyist andI have done a book cake but this binder/folder needs to be translated into a cake. The top page would be an edible image. My question is how to get the look with the prongs on the left side and the top of the folder realistic keeping it all edible? Serving size, about 30. What size would you recommend and what route to take? Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, using edible image for the first time, any pointers on that? I will be researching on that right after posting this. Thanks in advance!!

9 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 3:58am
post #2 of 10

ATo go for ultimate realism, I'd be tempted to use foam core sheets covered in fondant for the binder part. Where you see the paper would be the actual cake, and just fashion the rings and the snap thing from gum paste and paint it with silver highlighting dust and vodka.

AZCouture Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 4:01am
post #3 of 10

AI'm sure many others recently saw a cake someone made that was a bag of baby spinach. It was all over Facebook anyways, not sure if it ended up here as well. But the plastic bag surrounding the spinach was made with gelatin, and it was very very impressive. Perhaps you could experiment with gelatin and be able to make the glossy cover for the binder as well.

jiya11 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 10

AThanks so much. I thought in that direction but was wondering to get a realistic look keepng it all edible. Would sheets of gumpaste cut and dried before hand work or would they soften up. The cake needs to sit overnight as it will be picked up 7ish in the morning and be cut later that day during the celebration.. quote name="AZCouture" url="/t/768991/binder-folder-cake#post_7491784"]To go for ultimate realism, I'd be tempted to use foam core sheets covered in fondant for the binder part. Where you see the paper would be the actual cake, and just fashion the rings and the snap thing from gum paste and paint it with silver highlighting dust and vodka.[/quote]

jiya11 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 10

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

To go for ultimate realism, I'd be tempted to use foam core sheets covered in fondant for the binder part. Where you see the paper would be the actual cake, and just fashion the rings and the snap thing from gum paste and paint it with silver highlighting dust and vodka.

After much thought, I think I will just go with your suggestion. Will use foam core with fondant and take that route. It is for Tuesday so hopefully if all goes well, I will come back and post pictures.

If it is foam/cardboard covered in fondant, I shouldn't need an edible image on it, right? Just a regular laser print out should do, sticking it on fondant with gum glue? What are your thoughts?

jiya11 Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 10

1377230_718353724853544_1064663325_a.jpg

Here is the cake. I could not take a pic so this was sent from the party.

Thanks a bunch for the advise.

AZCouture Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 10

AOh that looks great! Sorry, I don't check emails from CC (too many), so I have to happen across threads I posted in or purposely go looking.

jiya11 Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 10

ANo need to be sorry at all. Just wanted to post a pic as promised and thank you for your invaluable advise.

AZCouture Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 10

AWell you're very welcome, and I'd be proud of that cake.

Eachna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eachna Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 10

This was gorgeous...thanks for sharing it with us!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%