Bridal Cake Tasting

Decorating By sweettreats8914 Updated 18 Mar 2014 , 10:34pm by me_me1

sweettreats8914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreats8914 Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 4

AI have been baking and cake decorating mainly for friends and family. Recently I had a couple approach me about possibly doing their wedding cake. I'm super excited but yikes!!! Any suggestions on how to set up and host a bridal cake tasting? ? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 8:49am
post #2 of 4

Hi there,

I can tell you how I go about it if you like...  not sure that it will be the same as what everyone else does, but seems to be working for me!

I'm in Aus so the generally nice weather means I can have people seated out on my verandah which overlooks a park and a river.  Having a lovely environment for them to have the tasting seems to be a big plus - I know I would like it. I've got a little corner decked out with pretty purple curtains screening one side with a few decorations hanging down on either side (pretty little shabby chic hearts and similar stuff) and then I have them seated so they are looking out over the park.  I set the table with beautiful Irish linens and use lovely china and silverware and have a few cake design books on the table in case they want to flick through for ideas.

I ask them what they'd like to drink (I generally offer a few different teas, fresh coffee, iced still or sparkling water or soft drink).  Then once I've got their drink requests I go back inside and bring out their cakes.  I usually just do a bunch of mini cupcakes in the flavours they have asked to try mixed and matched with various frostings/ganaches, set up nicely on a pretty three tier cake stand.

I go through what each flavour is and it's frosting, answer any questions they might have and then go back inside to get their drinks so I'm not hovering over them watching them eat cake.  

I bring out their drinks and by this stage they've generally tried at least two of the flavours.  I then sit down with them and just chat cake with them.  We talk about design ideas they have and other details of their wedding.  If they want fresh or sugar flowers, how many portions, dessert or coffee sized portions etc etc.

Then when they are ready to go I bring them out a little box with two mini cakes in each flavour that they tried so bride and groom can take them home and have another taste together without feeling any pressure at all. The box is all nicely done up with ribbon and my card even though they have my details - they might give it out, who knows.

So far (touch wood) every tasting I've conducted has resulted in a firm booking - so I must be doing something right!  Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Janelle

sweettreats8914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreats8914 Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 4

Ame_me1, thank you so much for your advice. You gave me some really wonderfully ideas that I was able to carry out in my tasting. Nothing confirmed yet but I have a good feeling about it. Thanks again!

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 4

More than happy to help!!  

I meant to say in my original response that on the table I set up I have a list of flavours set in an old photo frame on the table so they don't feel obliged to ask for just standard vanilla or chocolate.

I also have little wooden blocks that have been cut into coffee and dessert sized portions with 'coffee' and 'dessert' engraved on them in a pretty font - having something visual they can pick up really seems to help people when deciding how much cake they will need.

:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%