Was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the Silicone Horse Mold from First Impression. I can not get it out with out breaking the tail, legs, ears..... no matter how careful I am.
I tried fondant with tylose also and left it in for 2 days and still had problems. I was hoping to use it for a cake this coming weekend and was looking for advise
I can keep melting the chocolate back together to patch the horse but would love to get it out in one piece and keeps the limbs and ears :)
Thanks in advance for any tips and ideas.
ATry freezing it for a few min?
Those are really skinny legs..
Those legs look impossible. How much you wanna bet it's not sold out, but they took it off their site because of all the complaints. This might sound odd but what if you inserted a toothpick into the leg to stabilize it. Then when the horse comes out of the mold the tooth pick will make it resistant to breakage. Then again, if the horse is going to be eaten - maybe not a good idea. The only other idea I have is to lightly spritz the inside of the mold with PAM spray then lightly blot out any extra spray before filling the mold again. If those two ideas don't work, what about making the horse out of gumpaste.
AI'm having the same problem with the alphabet silicone mold from Wilton. It is becoming the bain of my existence ! I'm using chocolate and letters that have a hollow space like A or B brake, very frustrating.
I like to put the mould in the freezer once I have filled it , once it is nice and firm it is much easier to de mould it.
will try freezer tonight. had only tried the frig before :) Thanks for the ideas!
I always make sure to put corn starch everywhere in the mold.
If you try the freezer method, you only need to put it in there for a couple minutes - and make sure you place the mold on a dish. Because when you go to remove it from the freezer any movement of the mold will make the legs crack and the sudden temperature change from the freezer to the warmth of your hands touching the mold will also cause a crack. Very temperamental.
I've used their deer mold which also has the skinny legs. Use fondant--put in freezer until hard--I waited overnight to be safe..then unmold quickly onto a piece of foam so it can dry from both sides without being disturbed.
I have a ship's wheel / helm mold from them and have the same prob. Can't remove what ever I use without breaking, and no instructions came with it to advise how to avoid breakage. I hate the mold, but really need it and want to love it.
I did get three horses made for the cake! All of the tails broke off and had to put most of their legs back on haha! And the ears.....forget about it! Just put a small chard of chocolate on the head and then melted them into ear shapes with my fingers.
Over all I am happy. Should have made the barn smaller so it looked more in the background like I had in my head.....
But the cake had the 3 things they asked for.....horses, barn, haybale
Thanks for all your help! Just a tough mold to work with! Putting them in the freezer did help!
Very nicely done. Congrats!
Angela, having purchased this mold myself, It became very frustrating. So much so that I threw the mold in the trash can. Then a thought occurred to me, probably as it was such an expensive mold. I took a very sharp small knife and cut out the obstructing part.
I'm not going to explain this well I'm sure, however the big fat piece of silicone that sat in between the tiny thin legs was the obstruction, so I cut it off. I didn't cut it all the way down, but enough that I could put clay in the whole section. Then after it came out of the mold I could easily remove the section of clay (using the marks as the guide) with a knife.
Sorry if I am not explaining this well, but I don't sculpt well and I really need these molds to work for me. I won't encourage you to do the same, however I'm just sharing my solution to the problem.
What a great idea. Thanks!
I know this is an old thread - I read it while I was considering the mold and wanted to provide an alternate perspective. I used Satin Ice and the freezer - I found it worked nicely. I made sure the whole head cavity (including the ears) was filled and the legs were packed, then I froze it for a good half hour, at least (I didn't have any shattering problems). In fact, I left one in the freezer overnight, and it was just fine.
Here's the finished cake. If you're thinking of trying the mold, I definitely recommend it with Satin Ice and the freezer.