Cookies And Cream Celebration Cake Dilemma

Baking By shonac Updated 25 Mar 2014 , 1:14pm by AnnieCahill

shonac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shonac Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 1:12am
post #1 of 12

AI think I've just gotten to the point where I've completely over thought this! I'm doing a cookies and cream celebration cake (Tiffany box) and am wondering what are the best flavour/texture combinations- choc mud with cookies and cream in the mud or not, (will it be too oven powering?) or just cookies and cream filling (and that brings up another question- cookies and cream buttercream or ganache' filling? Or both, buttercream inside- ganache' outside?) Also does cookies and cream go better with choc mud or white choc mud? Sweetness wise, stability wise under fondant, personal preference, tips, tricks and anything else would be hugely appreciated as I think I've just read too much about flavour combinations to the point of confusion! TIA Shonac

11 replies
BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 1:56am
post #2 of 12

AIf you can't decide on choc or white cake, do a layer of both with cookies and cream buttercream. If you are worried about it being too sweet, use heirloom frosting for your filling and mix with cookies. Use regular buttercream on the outside. I don't know that I would use ganache....might seem too rich, if you are worried about that.

Good luck!

shonac Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 10:00am
post #3 of 12

AThanks so much beesknees! I've decided to go with cookies and cream almond butter cream filling (after a lot of taste testing!), choc/cookie mud with choc ganache and finally fondant which everyone will probably peel off anyway!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 12

For future reference, one of my most popular flavors is chocolate cake with Oreo buttercream filling.  I roughly break up the Oreos and mix them into some buttercream and put a thick layer of that in between the layers.  The chocolate cake is just plain chocolate.

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 12

So glad I found this thread!  I was getting on to research, and here is my answer!   I am baking a Hershey's chocolate cake today, then filling with Oreos in ABC.

AnnieCahill Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 12

What I do is add more heavy cream to the filling part and whip it on high speed for a few minutes so it's not as heavy and sweet.

shonac Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 12:13am
post #7 of 12

AThanks anniecahill! But that's my problem, it can't be a perishable filling being a fondant cake, I need something that doesn't have to be refrigerated. Thanks for the ideas though!

AnnieCahill Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 1:01am
post #8 of 12

AI leave mine out at least two days with no issue. There isn't that much cream to make it a problem. Maybe a few tablespoons...

shonac Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 1:21am
post #9 of 12

AReally!? If that's the case, that'll save me so many issues with fillings and fondant- thanks so much for the advice

AnnieCahill Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 12:01am
post #10 of 12

AYou can refrigerate fondant...I do it all the time.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 1:52am
post #11 of 12

Success in refrigerating fondant depends on one's refrigerator and climate. As far as using certain fillings, some cottage food producers are not allowed to use anything requiring refrigeration.

AnnieCahill Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 1:14pm
post #12 of 12

Right...I'm not sure what the food laws are in Australia so of course OP would have to make sure it's something that's allowed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%