3" Cake Pans - Help!

Decorating By crose54 Updated 11 Mar 2014 , 10:23pm by maybenot

crose54 Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 7

AHI Everyone, here I am again. I have a very large wedding cake to do and it is for my favorite nephew and his amazing soon to be wife. I have always used 2" pans and I purchased a 3" deep 14" square pan and 3" deep 10" square pan and a 2" deep 6" square for the top. I have never used a 3" deep pan so I am very nervous about baking in them. I am not sure how to cut them to fill them. I know this sounds silly but not sure what the norm is. Do I just take back and exchange them for 2". Any suggestions? Really nervous about using them. I want this cake to be perfect.

6 replies
leah_s Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 7

Good luck.  I gave away all my 3" pans.  I could never get anything to bake properly in them.

crose54 Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 7

AOk, that's a little scary. Especially trying this on a wedding cake... I think a trip back to the store to exchange is on the schedule. Thanks.

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 7

Most my cake pans are 3" deep because that's what's easier to buy here but I rarely use them like that tbh...the cooking time is so much that they end up crusting on the outside and dry out.  If you do, my understanding is that bake even strips and metal 'cores'/flower nails can help... good luck :-)

Rfisher Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 7

AI can get decent results with 3" round pans only if I use a doctored box mix, and bake at 325 til done. With strips. I cannot get any 3" scratch cake to come out decent. As for cutting and filling, there are plenty of helpful hints swimming around here. I have done both 1" and 1.5". It just alters your cake to filling ratio = personal preference. As for the square pan aspect, I say bake in sheet pans and cut out what you need. You may think you'll have more scraps/waste that way, but you may find you will waste more re-baking in the square pans to achieve pretty corners.

StyledSweet Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 7

I've only baked in a 8x3 round pan, but with bake even strips, it came out fine.  It did take longer to bake, maybe an additional 15 minutes.  For the bigger pans, I've heard using the Fat Daddio's Heating Core will help bake it much more even.  

Here's a like for it on Amazon: 

And here's the tutorial I've seen about it:

maybenot Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 7

AI always bake in 3"pans, but I only bake 2"layers. They come out a good 2" and pretty flat. I bake at 325F with Ateco heating cores. Love the results so much that I have very few 2" pans anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%