Cake Weight Vs Size

Business By Bopple Princess Updated 15 Mar 2014 , 2:55am by TheItalianBaker

Bopple Princess Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 6:06am
post #1 of 12

AHello, I'm a bit confused about customers always wants to buy cake by weight, and it confused me on the pricing as well, do you have a benchmark on what size cake is how heavy for example 8" cake 2 layers is 1 kg or something like that? Please advise, thanks a lot :)

11 replies
leah_s Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 11:44am
post #2 of 12

AWhere are you from? I understand that in the Caribbean cakes are sold by weight, but here in the US, they are sold by the serving.

Bopple Princess Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 11:54am
post #3 of 12

AI'm from Singapore, so how do you do your pricing? :)

TheItalianBaker Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 12

I've been in Italy for 30 years of my life, we sell cakes by weight there. I used to charge €20/kg.

In USA it's for serving, I charge $5.50/serving.

Few weeks ago I weighed this cake and, after change and everything, I figured I charged the same price like I was in Italy! (8" + 6" = $150)

You still need to do you math, check your prices and see how much ingredients cost to you.

When somebody inquires for a cake, you need to calculate 150gr-180gr/serving for simple decorations, plus the extras (bow, 3d characters and so on..).

Bopple Princess Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 12

A

Original message sent by TheItalianBaker

I've been in Italy for 30 years of my life, we sell cakes by weight there. I used to charge €20/kg. In USA it's for serving, I charge $5.50/serving. Few weeks ago I weighed this cake and, after change and everything, I figured I charged the same price like I was in Italy! (8" + 6" = $150)

You still need to do you math, check your prices and see how much ingredients cost to you. When somebody inquires for a cake, you need to calculate 150gr-180gr/serving for simple decorations, plus the extras (bow, 3d characters and so on..).

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3201650/]* [/URL]

Thanks! And will you charge more if for example they want lots of figure fondant? Or 3d cake? :)

Thats a sweet cake! How did you make the pattern? :)

TheItalianBaker Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 12

yes, I charge more for characters, 3d animals..

3d cakes I charge by project because they are sooo time consuming!!! 

For those prices it basically depends on how fast you are.. for the same piece I might need 2h, someone else 45minutes!

for the cake, I painted the leopard prints one by one.. fortunatelly It was just a 6"!!!!

Bopple Princess Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 12

A

yes, I charge more for characters, 3d animals.. 3d cakes I charge by project because they are sooo time consuming!!!  For those prices it basically depends on how fast you are.. for the same piece I might need 2h, someone else 45minutes!

for the cake, I painted the leopard prints one by one.. fortunatelly It was just a 6"!!!!

Wow thats very nice! I have to try to make one like that! So cute :D

So for your leopard cake, what size it it? Do you have any way to "adjust" ingredients for different sizes of cake? Lets say I have recipe for 8" cake and customer wants 6" cake of that recipe, how would you calculate it?

Sorry for asking so many questions :p

TheItalianBaker Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 12:15am
post #8 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bopple Princess 

Wow thats very nice! I have to try to make one like that! So cute icon_biggrin.gif

So for your leopard cake, what size it it? Do you have any way to "adjust" ingredients for different sizes of cake? Lets say I have recipe for 8" cake and customer wants 6" cake of that recipe, how would you calculate it?

Sorry for asking so many questions :p

I'm sorry, I cannot help with that.. I work in a bakery so when I bake, it's not just one 8" cake. 

My normal batch is between 25 and 50 eggs! anyways, when I have some leftovers I make cupcakes :D

Bopple Princess Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 12:16am
post #9 of 12

A

I'm sorry, I cannot help with that.. I work in a bakery so when I bake, it's not just one 8" cake.  My normal batch is between 25 and 50 eggs! anyways, when I have some leftovers I make cupcakes :D

Oh ok, and now I have orders for 1 kg cake that can feed 8-10 people, will 8" round cake enough do you think?

I'm still confused deciding what size cake to make coz worry that the cake will be too low if I make the wrong size or too high that it wont be enough to feed the guests :(

mcaulir Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 1:21am
post #10 of 12

I think you need to work out how you're planning to sell and have your customers go by your system. Or get some advice from people who live in your area to try and work out how they do it.

ellavanilla Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 6:08pm
post #11 of 12

wow,  if i could sell cakes by weight, it would be nothing but cheesecakes!!

TheItalianBaker Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 2:55am
post #12 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bopple Princess 

Oh ok, and now I have orders for 1 kg cake that can feed 8-10 people, will 8" round cake enough do you think?

I'm still confused deciding what size cake to make coz worry that the cake will be too low if I make the wrong size or too high that it wont be enough to feed the guests icon_sad.gif

no way you can make 8" cake weight 1kg!!!! you have to make a 6".. and I'm pretty sure it will be around 2kg anyways...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%