All Natural Food Coloring

Decorating By pooch64 Updated 12 Mar 2014 , 1:11am by RedneckHippie

pooch64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooch64 Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know some good items to use in frosting for coloring that is all natural.  I have to make a cake but the client is allergic to food coloring and she wants pink, yellow, blue and green.

5 replies
weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 6

Hi there!

I have used beet juice to color my BC and it came out a beautiful pink!  I just opened up a can of beets and used the juice in place of the water/milk in the recipe.  I also omitted the salt in the BC recipe since the beet juice from the canned beets was salted.  This picture doesn't do the color justice, it's really a nice pink.

A birthday cake for myself!  I had a wonderful cake in mind, but this cake put me through the alphabet!....Plan A....Plan B.......Plan C.........   ;)  See before pic for more details on that. This is a chocolate cake that is wheat free, dairy free and egg free.   The buttercream is also dairy free and colored using beet juice. Thanks for looking!

More recently I used the juice of thawed cherries to color my BC pink.  I don't have a pic. of that posted, but it did look very much like the beets' coloring did.  The only downside of using the juice from the thawed cherries was that it had a few small pieces of cherry specks in the icing.  I can also say that the juice from thawed strawberries is not pigmented enough to get pink.  When I tried that, it came out a light salmon or peach color because the butter I had used was so yellow.

I have also used liquid chlorophyll for green BC.  It came out a sage green.  I also tried juicing spinach, and that came out the same sage/moss green as the liquid chorophyll.  Just use your coloring liquid in place of the liquid in your recipe.

My best advice is to search the web for 'all natural food colorings'.

HTH! :)

pooch64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooch64 Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for your response.  That helps alot.  I think I'll try cherries as that's a better flavor than beets.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 6

India tree makes all natural food colors, they are gel paste.  I use them all the time, Chefmate also makes them. You can find them at the natural candy store or supply village. If you have a decopac account you can also order the decopac line, which i believe is made by chefmate. 

I just wrote an article about natural food color and some examples of the colors you can get from the india tree brand of natural colors. https://www.obubblebakery.com/color-dilemma-natural-color-options/

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 6

AI'm sorry, I did forget to mention that the beet juice didn't flavor the icing at all. No one knew or could taste that I had used beet juice. It was my birthday cake so I ate it too, there was no beet flavor, yeah! I didn't tell until it had been eaten.:-).

RedneckHippie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedneckHippie Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 1:10am
post #6 of 6

You can get a nice, vibrant yellow using turmeric.  I used it for the writing on this cake: Cheesecake Factory Carrot Cake with Cheesecake Layer Cream Cheese Icing and real flowers All organic and natural, for Rosi.

(Yeah, I need more practice on writing. ;)

I think it would go wonderfully with beet or cherry pink and sage/spinach green.  Blue though?  I think I read somewhere that you can get blue from red/purple cabbage?  But that it wasn't a very pretty blue. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%