Friday Night Cake Club 3/7/14

Decorating By catlharper Updated 7 Apr 2014 , 5:22pm by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 3:54am
post #1 of 31

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share their week, share photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can! Hope to see lots of photos this week!

Cat

30 replies
catlharper Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 3:59am
post #2 of 31

Hi everyone,

I've been down with bronchitis the past two weeks. The party went quite well but I'm prone to bronchitis and felt it coming on the morning of the party. By Monday I was in bed...for a week. This week hasn't been too much different but I finally turned the corner for better and am finally feeling like a normal person. One who gets very tired very quickly but still! I'll take it! LOL! 

Needless to say there's been no baking of any sort going on here. I have a small birthday cake for Sunday but that's really it. The real happening here is little league is starting up so we've been busy with practice and such. I'm team mom this year since, with my hand, I have a very light Spring season this year. Kids got their jersey's today and our first real game is Monday! 

Hope everyone is doing well and if you have been under the weather that life is treating you a bit better now!

Cat

anaelisabethlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anaelisabethlee Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 31

A

Original message sent by catlharper

Hi everyone,

I've been down with bronchitis the past two weeks. The party went quite well but I'm prone to bronchitis and felt it coming on the morning of the party. By Monday I was in bed...for a week. This week hasn't been too much different but I finally turned the corner for better and am finally feeling like a normal person. One who gets very tired very quickly but still! I'll take it! LOL! 

Needless to say there's been no baking of any sort going on here. I have a small birthday cake for Sunday but that's really it. The real happening here is little league is starting up so we've been busy with practice and such. I'm team mom this year since, with my hand, I have a very light Spring season this year. Kids got their jersey's today and our first real game is Monday! 

Hope everyone is doing well and if you have been under the weather that life is treating you a bit better now!

Cat

Gosh poor you!! Hope you're back to your normal self soon.... No baking for me either this week, nor next week by the looks of it, as my cooker has just blown :-/ X

EdieBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdieBabe Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 31

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3199975/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Hi everyone, I'm new to cc and fancy cake making (and so many things actually, recently dissolved a 10 year common law marriage and about to give a new but crappy house mate the boot... lots of change all at once) and so far have largely been a lurker on cc but FNCC is too excellent for me to resist

catlharper Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 31

Ana, thank you...it's been something else. Between my hand and this illness I, literally, have not been myself in 4 months. I'm so DONE! I'm a really lousy patient too...my poor hubby!  The only upside with this illness is that I've lost 11 pounds the past two weeks! Amazing how easy it is to diet when food sounds horrid to you! LOL! Silver lining!

Edie! Sounds life is being anything BUT fair to you these days! That is a whole lot of change to be happening in a short span of time. Hope things go well with the roommate change over and you find a great one to replace her. 

It doesn't say where you are from but I'm guessing you are not American by the way you "glazed the cake before frosting". So I'm dying of curiosity about what you did glaze it with? Can't wait to see the one in April now! 

My summer season is just beginning to book up and it's mostly children's birthday cakes! Very odd indeed! Usually I have a few weddings, a few showers (bridal and baby) and then a kid's cake or two but this summer I have 6 booked already! SIX! It kinda amazes me that people are now paying that kind of money for a birthday cake. Not that I'm not happy for the money just surprised!

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! We are celebrating our son's "Gotcha Day". That is the day when we all stood in court as a family and the judge finalized his adoption 12 years ago. We had him from birth...literally, he was born into my hands...but the paperwork takes awhile so he was 10 mos old before it was finalized. Anyways, we do a small celebration each year. Today it's going to go see the Lego Movie and then out to his favorite restaurant for lunch. My first real outing in two weeks and I'm thrilled! LOL!

Cat

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 31

Cat, so sorry you still haven't been feeling well, but glad that you seem to be on the mend.  Take care and enjoy your day!

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 12:52am
post #7 of 31

Sorry to hear you have been ill Cat, our family is getting over the same thing. This cake was for a young lady visiting FL for a horse riding event, her mom called me from Ohio and asked me to surprise her at the event with the cake. The cupcakes were for a 7 year old's birthday.

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 31

Here are my cakes for this weekend:

- https://www.facebook.com/sweetshopandbakery

catlharper Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 31

Awesome cakes!

Rosie: Love the display on the cupcakes! SO cute!  Love the horse cut out too..is that a cookie cutter or machine cut or???

SweetShop: Adorable baby shower cake! VERY clean!  Love the hockey cake too. Jersey's always take a lot more work than I think they will! LOL!

Cat

Gerle Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 10:50pm
post #10 of 31

Rosie those cupcakes look soooo delicious!  Great job!

Sweetshop, those are amazing cakes and cookies! Baby shower cakes and cookies are always so adorable.

SweetShop5 Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 1:09am
post #11 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlharper 

Awesome cakes!

Rosie: Love the display on the cupcakes! SO cute!  Love the horse cut out too..is that a cookie cutter or machine cut or???

SweetShop: Adorable baby shower cake! VERY clean!  Love the hockey cake too. Jersey's always take a lot more work than I think they will! LOL!

Cat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerle 

Rosie those cupcakes look soooo delicious!  Great job!

Sweetshop, those are amazing cakes and cookies! Baby shower cakes and cookies are always so adorable.

Thank you very much both of you :)

Veronica1203 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Veronica1203 Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 2:11am
post #12 of 31

This is my cakes from this weekend.  All the cupcakes were donated for a Relay For Life event.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 5:57am
post #13 of 31

Rosie, that is such a cute idea for cupcakes! I hope you don't mind if I use you for inspiration.

Rosie93095 Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 2:49pm
post #14 of 31

Thanks ladies, everyone has some beautiful cakes this week.

The horse was a clip art that I printed out after adjusting the size and cut out of fondant with a knife.

You are more than welcome to use the cupcake idea! I have been doing them that way for awhile. It adds a little "sophistication" to the serving.:):smile:

Rosie93095 Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 2:50pm
post #15 of 31

Veronica- I love the fish cake!

I noticed you live in Elijay- my folks had some property up there for years, it is a lovely place!

Gerle Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 4:34pm
post #16 of 31

Veronica, beautiful cakes!  I especially like the fish and the baby cakes.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 4:42pm
post #17 of 31

Cat, that's a lovely idea about the "gotcha day" celebration.  My cake this weekend was for friends who had just had their daughter officially granted to them and were dedicating her at church.  She is such a gorgeous, happy wee girl and they are a lovely family.

"Garden Party" - strawberry cake with gumpaste flowers, hand-painted bunting and brush embroidery embellishments on a cake for my friends' daughter's dedication.

I am really pleased with how this cake turned out, but am annoyed that I somehow managed to have one side of the lower tier slanty.  But everyone was very happy with it and it was great to be able to add to the specialness of their day.

Veronica1203 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Veronica1203 Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 2:53am
post #18 of 31

Thank you Rosie.  I have lived in Ellijay my entire life.  I can't imagine living anywhere else. 
The fish mold was something I bought about 10 yrs ago and this is the very first time I have used to mold fondant.  It worked great. My mom thought I carved them from scratch.  I told her I did :) 

EdieBabe Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 4:52am
post #19 of 31

Wow ladies - such amazing cakes, I am truly a novice and feel lucky to be here... Hopefully I'll be able to learn enough to wow you back;) I haven't gotten to the linger story about last weekends big cake yet because after a staff Xmass party (hospitality industry always has Xmass in Feb or March) I came down with a nasty round of food poisoning... probably oysters... I ate a lot of them. Finally feeling well enough to try some plain rice so hopefully by tomorrow I'll be tip-top again. Is it wrong that even in my delerium all I dream of is cake making and decorating?? Lol.

catlharper Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 8:49pm
post #20 of 31

Hi everyone! I don't know how many of you may be getting this message. I don't actually get too many notifications from here so I love coming back and seeing what I missed!

Sorry about Friday night and no Cake Club...we had guests over and I totally forgot until Saturday morning! We will have to make up for it this Friday with LOTS of photos! I have a few to share so it will be a good night for me to catch up with all of you!

Cat

SweetShop5 Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 9:02pm
post #21 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlharper 

Hi everyone! I don't know how many of you may be getting this message. I don't actually get too many notifications from here so I love coming back and seeing what I missed!

Sorry about Friday night and no Cake Club...we had guests over and I totally forgot until Saturday morning! We will have to make up for it this Friday with LOTS of photos! I have a few to share so it will be a good night for me to catch up with all of you!

Cat

Oh great to hear :)

Gerle Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 9:16pm
post #22 of 31

Glad to hear it wasn't because you had a relapse!  I was afraid you might be sick again and was hoping that wasn't the problem.

catlharper Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 7:05pm
post #23 of 31

Thankfully, no, not a relapse! Just a houseful of family and way too much to do! LOL! We had another baby born in our family this past week so we got to go meet him that night too. Just crazy busy weekend!

Cat

EdieBabe Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 7:47pm
post #24 of 31

Actually I'm in BC, Canada but am heavily influenced by Australian cake practices as the afore mentioned ex hubby is one of those and for the record we are getting along better now than the tail end of common law marriage experience... of course it helps he is on another continent at the moment helping his parents through their divorce.  The room mate is a he who came at the recommendation of a bestie girlfriend of mine who is surprised & embarrassed at his crap behaviour and in Bali at the moment sooo yeah... sucking it.  Not to worry though I am resilient as all get out and I've been through worse hahahaha.

catlharper Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 4:45pm
post #25 of 31

Edie, Life keeps throwing stuff at us and it's really hard to get through it and keep on feeling creative. Whatever you are doing is working!

Cat

EdieBabe Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 5:28pm
post #26 of 31

A[IMG]

[IMG]

http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3216824/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG]

This weekend found me commissioned to provide a couple small cakes for a woman's birthday - 2 small because her friend couldn't chose which flavour so went with both

EdieBabe Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 5:33pm
post #27 of 31

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3216839/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

This is the lonesome cake mentioned in my previous post a minute ago... I tried to embed 2 photos in one post but seems like it'll only accept one per post...

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 6:29pm
post #28 of 31

AThis was my weekend project. I'm pretty happy with it but I see some things that could be improved upon. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3216868/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 6:30pm
post #29 of 31

AOops this is an older thread! Lol

EdieBabe Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 7:22pm
post #30 of 31

A

Original message sent by Rosegin

Oops this is an older thread! Lol

Yea... I also noticed that after I posted - oops. In my brain it's an every Friday thing hahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%