Leaving Cake In Car Overnight (17 Degrees) - Will It Freeze?

Decorating By chelleb1974 Updated 7 Mar 2014 , 7:52pm by chelleb1974

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in a while, but I have come upon a situation that I haven't been in before.  I have a wedding cake that is for Sunday morning (March 9th), and due to my schedule, the cake will be done tonight (Friday March 7th).  I am heading off tomorrow and have to take the cake with me (I won't be stopping back home before delivering it on Sunday).  I was planning to leave it in the car most of the day on Saturday (predicted high of 42 F) and in the car overnight on Saturday night (predicted low of 17 F). 

I was wondering what people's opinions are of whether the cake is going to freeze?  The wedding is at 11am on Sunday (cake delivery about 9am), so my guess is the cake would be cut around Noon or so. 

My other alternative to the car on Saturday would be to bring it indoors with an indoor temp of about 70 F.  It is a buttercream cake with royal icing flowers on it.  I suppose I could leave it in the car during the day on Saturday and bring it indoors at night.....didn't think of that before.

What are your thoughts/questions?  Is there anything I haven't thought of? 

Thank you all for your opinions!

Chelle

5 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 6

Yes it will freeze.  Freezing occurs at 32F.  I don't think it would have enough time to thoroughly thaw out before the cutting.  If it were me I'd leave it inside.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 6

AYour car can get quite warm inside if the sun is shining, even at 42 degrees outside. Don't let your buttercream melt!

Liz

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 6

AI also would bring it in....wouldn't chance them cutting into a half frozen cake...

HAPPY BAKING :-D

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 6

AI also would bring it in pp

Original message sent by liz at sugar

Your car can get quite warm inside if the sun is shining, even at 42 degrees outside. Don't let your buttercream melt!

Liz

This is also true I didn't even think about the sun being a factor in it...bring it inside , put it in a safe place...

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Everyone!

I didn't think about the sun.  It's going to be in a cardboard box, but it could still get warm if it's in the sun.  I'll find a not-too-warm place in the house to put it when I get to where I'm headed on Saturday.

~Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%