Hello, I'm New To Cake Decorating

Decorating By samuel-findlay Updated 9 Mar 2014 , 4:35am by remnant3333

samuel-findlay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samuel-findlay Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 10

i've recently started cake decorating, and have been told that i am really good for a beginner.  i'm 16 and live in the UK.

this is my third cake i've ever decorated, so would love to have some advice on different things :)

9 replies
maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 10

AWow! 16 and only your third cake! Looks pretty good to me. I've been baking for years but quite new to decorating (less than a year). Ionly finished my 2nd ever two tier cake yesterday. The only advice I can give you is keep practising, watch videos and practise some more. I've come a long way in a year and my first attempts were nowhere near as good as yours! Other people who've been doing this longer will give you advice on specifics, I just wanted to give you encouragement. :-)

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuel-findlay 

i've recently started cake decorating, and have been told that i am really good for a beginner.  i'm 16 and live in the UK.

this is my third cake i've ever decorated, so would love to have some advice on different things :)

Hi from another UK resident. Welcome to CC. You will find loads of advice here and great ideas to aspire to....and probably end up a CC addict too!!;-) Use the search function to see if answers have already been posted to your queries.

If that is an example of your 3rd cake you are doing really well. I like the imaginative use of colour. Well done.

I always think that if you cover your cake board with fondant and edge the board with ribbon to tie in with the theme of your design it really finishes the cake off.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 12:06am
post #4 of 10

Welcome to the squirrel-cage, and look out for the nuts (myself included). You'll find professionals, semiprofessionals, and amateurs here, at all skill levels.

Just remember that disco dust is NOT "Good Eats."

howboutbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howboutbake Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 4:12am
post #5 of 10

You're doing great! My best advice is to keep going and practice practice practice!

When I first started out I was super enthusiastic, and tried to do everything perfectly all at once , annd things became incredibly frustrating. I had to take some time off.  Now that I am returning, I am trying to focus on mastering one element at at time, such as getting sharp bc edges, then practicing my fondant, then piping etc etc.  

You are lucky to have become interested in a skill at such a young age.  If you work hard, practice and check out the business advice on here, you could eventually have a little side business to help pay for school in the future! You are not ready yet, but you could be soon :)

Good luck! 

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 5:01am
post #6 of 10

AThat looks really good! Keep working at it..hang around Here. I promise you'll learn quite a bit

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 6:16am
post #7 of 10

AYou probaby have a branch of the BSG in your area. Join and become an active member. There's slways something going on somewhere!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 3:33am
post #8 of 10

AWhat's a BSG?

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 3:38am
post #9 of 10

;-D

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 4:35am
post #10 of 10

AAwesome job!!! Well done!!! Your cake is beautiful!!! I love butterflies!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%