Anyone Know What Kind Of Cake They Like In India?

Decorating By kblickster Updated 7 Mar 2014 , 9:05am by Boyka

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 7

I have a new customer that ordered a cake recently.  She just wanted a vanilla cake with buttercream.  She said, "It was good but that it had much icing and was sweet.  Um???? That's what cake in the US is.

Now she would like me to make a black forest cake.  Her words, "Not so tall and more cake and little icing.  No cherries in middle.  Only on top."

HELP PLEASE.  Are the cakes there something different?  Denser?  Not so sweet?

6 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 7

Black forest has whipped cream instead of buttercream, so that in itself would make that cake "less sweet".

Just make nice thick cake layers, and it sounds like she will be happy!

Liz

CraterCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraterCakes Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 7

Having been to India many times, I've had a lot of their cake. Also most of my clients are Indian.

Typically the cakes are eggless so are much more dense. Buttercream is not as common, but I noticed a lot of something that tasted similar to cream cheese frosting or this really chocolate coat that I didn't quite recognize (kind of like the chocolate syrup that hardens over ice cream but less sweet). Cakes aren't usually multi-layered like they are in the US. The cakes are also more moist than ours.

Hope this helps :)

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 12:15am
post #4 of 7

Thank you CraterCakes. That sounds like what she was describing.  I'm shopping tomorrow and I'm just not sure what to get.  She's a doctor and so nice.  She's expecting and found me through a baby shower cake I did for another customer.  I really want to please her as this could be a long term thing.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:05am
post #5 of 7

You might want to message Firefly India - she's in New Delhi. 

Here's her link:  https://www.facebook.com/Firefly.India.Fondant.Cakes.NewDelhi

MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 6:28am
post #6 of 7

From my experience they don't like super sweet cakes like we have here in USA. They really don't have a whole lot of desserts either... I made a strawberry shortcake layer cake once with freshly whipped cream and fresh sliced strawberry that a few people from India tried and they were head over heels for it. One of them had seconds! It's the lightest cake of all the cakes I make. But going back to what kind of cakes they like... I only know Mawa Cake, but it doesn't get frosted or covered in anything.. see my links below:

http://www.howtocookthat.net/public_html/sponge-cake-recipe/

http://minameenah.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-daring-bakers-june-2013-challenge.html

Boyka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boyka Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 9:05am
post #7 of 7

AWhy dont you use some sour cream and Masrapone cheese in your filing, or do some mouses.... I live in US, but I do European cakes and do not use butterceams

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%