Cake Freezing?

Decorating By nastassia Updated 5 Apr 2014 , 4:39am by nastassia

nastassia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nastassia Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 9:03am
post #1 of 8

How do you freeze and store cakes?

I've tried this before with my son's birthday cake. It would of been so cute. I made 3 tiers, each layer a different color, and didn't have time to bake all the day ahead so I started earlier in the week and then froze it. I packaged the cake first in clear wrap, then foil, then a ziplock bag and stuck it in the freezer, I did this to each layer. The day before I defrosted the cakes, and decorated thinking it was a success. The cakes were DRY :(

Another time I made cake the day before, then stuck it in the fridge and the next day assembled and iced. That cake dried out too.

Please help! :(

7 replies
maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 9:35am
post #2 of 8

AI don't know about freezing cakes, I've never done it but I often put sponge in the fridge overnight and it's always lovely. I either wrap it in cling film or crumb coat it first though. Maybe it's the cake itself, have you used that recipe before? Is it usually ok?

gemmal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gemmal Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 9:38am
post #3 of 8

I wish I could be more help but I think it may have something to do with the recipes used among other things. I have tried a few times to freeze my vanilla cake and every time they have come out waaaay too dense, almost as if they have collapsed in on themselves thawing. There are a ton of threads that detail ways to freeze cakes sucsessfully. Maybe some of those people could help and if it still doesnt work, maybe try another recipe. Good luck! =]

nettiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nettiekakes Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 9:41am
post #4 of 8

hi i have frozen many cakes of my cakes ahead of time it might not be the freezing part if you can put it in the fridge and it still comes out dry are you putting a layer of ganache between you cake and fondant, also i find good sealing containers work really wel, i was wondering if it is your recipe that you use has it been the same recipe, i hope this helps

annette 

nastassia Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:06am
post #5 of 8

Yeah the cake recipe is awesome, its light and fluffy and moist. But the second time I did just put it straight in the fridge, no coating, no covering, nothing :0/

I wonder how bakeries keep theirs moist though? I've bought a pre-made cake from Sams club before to practice on, it was just in a box and when it thawed it was still good.

leannrr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannrr Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:45am
post #6 of 8

I freeze my cakes all the time without problem.  I even freeze cupcakes in their wrappers occasionally.  I wrap the cakes still warm in plastic wrap and put in freezer right away.  When thawing, keep wrapped until completely thawed.  Always moist, no problems.

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 5:19am
post #7 of 8

A

Original message sent by leannrr

I freeze my cakes all the time without problem.  I even freeze cupcakes in their wrappers occasionally.  I wrap the cakes still warm in plastic wrap and put in freezer right away.  When thawing, keep wrapped until completely thawed.  Always moist, no problems.

I do the same thing, wrap while warm, and no problems with being dry! Maybe try using a simple syrup on your cakes for added moisture.

nastassia Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 4:39am
post #8 of 8

I'll try the simple syrup thanks! :) haven't tried that. And thanks everyone, I was letting it completely cool before, before I wrapped it. I'll also try when its still warm :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%