Cake Sale! Help!

Business By katies135 Updated 27 Mar 2014 , 9:54pm by ac2steachk

katies135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies135 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 8:23am
post #1 of 8

AI'm fairly new to this whole baking business thing! I've been baking a long time but slowly more people have been asking for cakes etc so I've decided to get a stall at a local craft fair.. The problem is I have no idea how many cupcakes to take with me, when I've googled it everyone says 10% of the footfall but I have no idea how many people are going to show up! I've got the stall for 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon in a hall so hopefully weather won't really effect how many people turn up! can anyone give me any guidance!? Thanks :)

7 replies
KitchenEmpress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenEmpress Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 8

Hi Katie. Ugh, craft shows have become the bane of my existence.  I'm not sure how it is in your area but lately, when I've been doing craft shows there have been too many other dessert/cake/cupcake vendors so the competition is tough.  In December I did a show and took 4 dozen cupcakes and 1 red velvet cake cut into slices.  I barely sold enough to pay for my space at the show due to the large number of dessert vendors.  If you can find out how many other vendors will be there that will be selling cake, that can help you determine how much you should take with you. I'm sorry I don't have anything more specific to tell you but having gone through that experience so many times, it's one of the first things I ask now. 

katies135 Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 8

AHey thanks for the message! I have asked and I'm going to be the only cake stall there luckily, I'm still stumped on how many to take :(

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 8

There's always a way to find out the expected number of visitors. Call the event organizers. Look at their web site. Talk to people who have been vendors in past years. Knowing that number will be your best beginning to know how much to take with you. Be proactive. If you want to effectively market yourself, you need to be prepared for the potential visitors to your booth.

katies135 Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 8

AI have done but they were quite vague! Said last year there was between 100-150... But if I only take 10% I'm going to have an empty table! :(

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 8

Take 50 basic cupcakes, charge $2 for each, and have a place to donate the left-overs after the show (get a receipt for the donation indicating a value of $2 per cupcake).  Examples:  Fire Stations, Police Stations, Staff lounge at local hospital, homeless shelter.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by katies135   last year there was between 100-150...  

I know it seems enticing, but it may not be worth the expense of ingredients and your time (baking, plus standing there selling). Please rethink. And if you take the ingredients as a business expense, you are not allowed to also use them as a donation.

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 8

Hmmm...150 people - not worth my time.

Thoughts:

You are the only cake vendor but are there other food vendors that would ultimately take sales away from you?

How many craft booths will people be looking at?

What is the cost for your booth? Do you have to supply a table or is one given to you?

What is your cost for ingredients and supplies?

What is your cost for time in preparation and sitting there?

I don't know what you googled exactly to get the 10% rule, but you're right, setting up for 10-15 purchases will look bare.  Setting up for 50 purchases will look better, but will you get that many sales? Not likely with only 150 people in attendance.

It wouldn't be worth all those costs to me, but on the other hand, it is a (possibly expensive) way to get your name out there and schmooze.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%