Wedding Cake Disaster

Decorating By asmita123 Updated 6 Mar 2014 , 8:29am by nicolah

asmita123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmita123 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 5:22am
post #1 of 3

For some reason I agreed to make a wedding cake for a friend. Well, I just tried to do the first floor of the cake. (14", lemon curd filling, choc cake) and well, it's a disaster.

The butter cream is/was too soft so it gave no support. the cake cracked and broken, and well it looks a hot mess. I tried to do a crumb coat, but it's falling apart. Insides are out, falling apart. I put it into the freezer to try to fix it tomorrow.

I am worried about the day of the wedding. It's not that warm in my house and I am using an Italian butter cream for an outdoor wedding. If I freeze the cake and can fix it, once it thaws completely, will it come apart again?!? I could really use some help. I've already bawled my eyes out and cursed myself.

2 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 7:07am
post #2 of 3

I don't know how badly it's falling apart, but I would rebake if you have time. IF it's falling apart, it will fall apart some more when it comes back to room temp.

Then I'd give up on the lemon curd and just use buttercream throughout - maybe flavour the buttercream lemon?

And if you haven't used IMBC, or this recipe before, I'd make some buttercream using a recipe you know works and use that instead.

I suspect the couple would rather have an intact cake than one that has exactly the flavours etc they wanted.

When is the wedding?

nicolah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolah Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 8:29am
post #3 of 3

If you have the time you should re bake it. Im sure you dont want to deliver a cracked up cake to your friends ẃedding. I've had quite a few disasters myself, I know how frustrating it could be, dont beat youself up over it, it happens to every one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%