Farmer's Market Questions!

Business By TheDoughHo Updated 6 Mar 2014 , 6:22pm by MimiFix

TheDoughHo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDoughHo Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 3:56am
post #1 of 6

This summer will be my first 'go' at the market...and I could use your advice!

1. Labels: In N.C. each product must be labeled and a business address given. I bake from my certified home kitchen...and not really feeling great about my home address being issued to all these strangers. How do you handle it?

2. Packaging: North Carolina heat and humidity is not friendly to baked goods. Especially those with frosting and glazes. Any tips on packaging things like frosted brownies?

3. As my production volume will greatly expand. I'm moving items I baked in 8*8 pans into 9*13s. I'm concerned about getting an even bake. I know we use metal flower nails to help cakes bake....can that be done on other goods too? Like brownies and coffee cakes?

Thanks!

5 replies
sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 4:04am
post #2 of 6

A1. get a PO box

2. I bring frostings separately in a cooler, and frost as I sell so nothing gets melty

3. 9 by 13 is still a small pan, really. They should bake fine in there with no need for anything special.

TheDoughHo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDoughHo Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 4:16am
post #3 of 6

Good idea on the P.O. Box.

I like the frost-as-you-sell method...but then are you wrapping as you go too? I need to have these packaged and labeled for sale. I was thinking about keeping a couple out and keeping the rest in a cooler? Not sure :-/ 

Thank you!!

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 6

AThe markets in my state do not require individual wrapping to sell. They have three different categories of food sale - prepackaged foods, foods sold ready to eat, and food cooked and sold on site. I register as the second category. I do bring boxes with me in case someone wants a box for multiple items, but most people buy one for each person in their group and eat them immediately. Bring napkins too. Everyone wants a napkin. I also bring a large brick of baby wipes and sanitizer.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 6

ACareful with the po box, check with your health dept first. Here it has to be the address you are actually doing the baking at.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 6

And check to see is you're allowed to handle food while selling at the market. In my state, Home Processors must have all foods prewrapped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%