One Tier Buttercream, One Tier Fondant...same Cake!

Decorating By JulieCromie Updated 18 Mar 2014 , 9:34pm by JulieCromie

JulieCromie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieCromie Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 12

Any advice on putting together a cake with one buttercream tier and one fondant tier?

11 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 12

ABe careful? I dunno, I just do it...lol. Maybe chill your bc one before assembling it so you don't mar the icing?

JulieCromie Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 12

I wondered if there is any issue with doing a buttercream tier on top of a fondant tier...

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 12

As long as the top tier is well supported, this shouldn't be an issue as the weight will be on the support, not the cake.  Shouldn't be any different than stacking two buttercream cakes.  I agree with AZ to chill so your are less likely to end up with fingerprints in the buttercream.  This might seem obvious, but I would add the border after you've stacked and, if the design allows for it, plan to have an extra few decorations to cover up any mistakes.

JulieCromie Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 12

This cake has me confused, I swear!  The lady wants a picture of herself on the top tier...and the only other request is that I would use the colour aquamarine as that is her birthstone.  I have no idea what to do!  I've never done a two tier with an edible image on the top!  I am used to making flowers, etc. to go on the top of a second tier!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 12:00am
post #6 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieCromie 

This cake has me confused, I swear!  The lady wants a picture of herself on the top tier...and the only other request is that I would use the colour aquamarine as that is her birthstone.  I have no idea what to do!  I've never done a two tier with an edible image on the top!  I am used to making flowers, etc. to go on the top of a second tier!

Go for It!  She obviously knows what she wants.  You're probably going to make a unique and really cool cake - to please the Lady. Sounds interesting.

FrostedMoon Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 12:15am
post #7 of 12

Sounds like you can do just about anything to go along with the edible image!  Is that why your are thinking you need to do that tier buttercream, or is the buttercream part of your design?  If you aren't already aware, you can attach edible images to fondant.  Does she want it on the very top, or can it be on the side of the top tier?  I know it's been done to death, but I'm still in love with ombre ruffles.  You could do aquamarine ombre ruffles (maybe ruffle rosettes?) on the bottom tier, and put her edible image in a fondant or piped antique style "frame" as if it were a cameo pin on the side of the top.  Finish with a ribbon and some light orangey pink flowers (or white if you prefer).  Sigh.  Can you tell I am tired of making rainbow cakes and mermaids?

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 12:18am
post #8 of 12

Could you do a sugar picture frame for the pic and prop it on top of the cake?

JulieCromie Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 12:24am
post #9 of 12

Thanks for the ideas!  I have just figured out that I am more a cake decorator than a cake designer.  This is a skill that I need to work on!  I love direction!  haha!  Well, I don't have much more time to figure it out, so I'd better get on it!  I really appreciate your responses, though.  Sometimes I feel alone, as none of my friends or family make or decorate, and so it is hard to find ideas that are doable for me!

FrostedMoon Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 1:08am
post #10 of 12

No problem!  For me I'm usually dumbfounded when they don't want to have more say on the cake.  Not from a design perspective, but from a "I'm a control freak and I could never let someone just surprise me" perspective.  :D  Good luck with the cake!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 1:27am
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieCromie 

"........ Sometimes I feel alone, as none of my friends or family make or decorate, ........'

Julie: that's exactly why some of us visit the website.  If I even try to explain to F & F about anything I get the 'visitor from outer space' look.  They don't understand, and don't want to know, they just love the finished product and want more.

{ When they ask me what time it is, they don't want me to tell them how I built the watch.}

good luck with your cake.

JulieCromie Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for your reply, MBalaska!  So, I ended up putting fondant decorations over the buttercream, which helped.  I also have realized that I am a cake decorator, and not a cake designer...yet!  This was my first cake that was fully designed by me, with minimal input.  It stressed. me. out!  No joke!  Anyhow, it was done, she loved it, and it is now behind me! :o)  Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%