Ankarsrum Stand Mixer

Decorating By DGbcs Updated 11 Jun 2014 , 2:05am by DGbcs

DGbcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DGbcs Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 12

AI can't seem to find the most fitting forum to ask this question so I picked here. Am in the market for a new stand mixer for my home baking business. I have a KA and while I've had it for years I think I want to go a different route. Does anyone out there have an Ankarsrum stand mixer? If not, suggestions on a good performing stand mixer that's not KA and has a larger bowl? Thanks so much for any advice!

11 replies
maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 12

AI don't have one (never heard of it actually). I do have a Kitchenaid and love it, mind me asking why you want to change?

DGbcs Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 12

AWell my KA has never worked really well. It might have been defective from the beginning, the motor just sounds weak. After doing a little research on this site it seems like there are definitely views on KA not being as good as they once were, so it made me start to wonder if I should just switch. :)

maisie73 Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 12:40am
post #4 of 12

AI bought my first KA from QVC UK, it didn't scrape the sides of the bowl and was leaking black grease from where the attachments fit. I had to get my hand mixer out to finish mixing a sponge and finish kneading bread dough by hand. I sent it back, bitterly disappointed and left a bad review. I continued checking the reviews to see if other people were having the same problems but no, the 5 star reviews kept coming. One lady responded to my review and urged me to give KA another chance. I'm so grateful to her because I did and I've never looked back! The new one I bought came with a flex edge beater and it's fab, I stop to scrape the bowl now more out of habit than because I need to. Before you give up on yours try contacting Kitchenaid, they have excellent customer service and you have nothing to lose. You might've just been unlucky and have a faulty one, I'm sure my first one was.

DGbcs Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 2:10am
post #5 of 12

You could be right!  Thanks so much for taking time to share your thoughts.  I really appreciate it!

maisie73 Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 2:11am
post #6 of 12

AMost welcome, good luck. :-)

howboutbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howboutbake Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 4:56am
post #7 of 12

If you bake bread...you will find that most bread bakers would be on the side of the ankarsrum mixer

(just google "the fresh loaf" and pop on over to find a ton of reviews)

For cake making I couldn't tell you if it's better or worse as I have never tried one. 

It does appear to be a well-made machine and please post your thoughts if you decide to get one :)

DGbcs Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 11:26am
post #8 of 12

AI don't bake bread but did read also that the Ankarsrum mixer was great for that. It seems like its good all around and has been used by bakers for a long time...particularly bread makers. I will do more research today and see what I come up with. I will most definitely try to remember to post an update if I do get one!

FavorChoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FavorChoc Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 12:18am
post #9 of 12

ADo you have an update to this post? Also looking for a good stand mixer.

DGbcs Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 12:25am
post #10 of 12

I mulled it over soooo much and I ended up getting the commercial 8 quart Kitchenaid, mainly because of the price and because that model is made of good quality parts.  Ironically, I actually had to return it twice to Kitchenaid, so I am on my third.  Kitchenaid was super nice about it and it's most likely a fluke thing that the first two were making a crazy clicking noise (which I had the Kitchenaid person listen to while I was on the phone).  So far I am pretty pleased! Love the capacity. Hope that helps!

FavorChoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FavorChoc Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 1:01am
post #11 of 12

AThanks for responding. I am thinking I might go with the Commercial Kitchen Aid as well, though the Ankarsrum looks interesting.

DGbcs Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 2:05am
post #12 of 12

Ankarsrum does look interesting, I would still love to have one someday. After doing a lot of research though and having the extra quart for a lesser price on the Kitchenaid, I decided on that.  Bakerella used the Ankarsrum and blogged about it in 2012, but she used it for cookies. I contacted her before making my decision and asked if she used it for cakes what she thought of it but she said she hadn't used it for cakes. So I decided to stick with what I felt was reputable and had the most consumer reviews on what I'd be using it for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%