How Do I Obtain Awards For My Baking And Cake Decorating?

Decorating By DeliciouslyRich Updated 4 Mar 2014 , 8:51pm by AZCouture

DeliciouslyRich Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 5

I have very recently set up my own cake decorating business, from this I was invited to a women in business networking event that had guest speakers. I was very fortunate to hear Helen Colley, from farmhouse fare speak about how she set up her business and then sold it, she gave me some advice which was to enter as many baking competitions as possible to gain awards. Trouble is, I am struggling to find any, can anyone point me in the right direction please? I live in the Teesside area.

Thank you in advance.

4 replies
leah_s Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 5

Uh . . . what city/st/country is that?

BeesKnees578 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 5

My post has more to do with the ART, not the BAKING side of cakes. 

With the creation of sites like Craftsy, and other sites offering on-line cake classes and tutorials, I think some Sugar Art Shows have closed up shop, so to speak.

I know ours in the Cleveland area had to.

One of the main reasons for the shows is that they are held in conjunction with a weekend filled with classes instructed by leaders of the cake industry.  I have been fortunate to have taken a few classes with Colette Peters and Toba Garrett.  While they were pricey for me, they were a COMPLETELY generous bargain compared to a typical class with the same instructors.  I think because they were considered mini-classes, so rather than constructing the entire Colette Peters Red, Black and White Can-Can Cake, we just learned how to do the ruffles in a 3 or 4 hr class.  Totally awesome.

I have some WONDERFUL cake instruction that I got on Craftsy for $20.  So, if I were an instructor, I would imagine the thought of having a proper tutorial (not YouTube-ish) produced and being available world-wide to ANY one who can afford it at the touch of the download button, not just the few who could afford to get to the classes they taught around the country, sounds pretty great!  No packing up your supplies, booking hotels, traveling by car or plane for hours ONLY to turn around on Sunday and pack it all up again.

I know there are still a few BIG ones in the US, but I wouldn't know about other parts of the world.

Good luck!  And if it helps, I think there are some industry greats out there that have never won a major award. 

Now on the baking side...I don't know what to tell you.  You could check with major baking ingredient manufacturers in your area to see if they have some kind of baking competitions.  Flour, sugar, chocolate, butter producers.  In the US, our county and state fairs have baking competitions.

Maybe you can try baking a couple different recipes of cake and hosting a tasting party with some friends.  Let them give you their honest and anonymous feedback on each one.   Keep doing that until you have a great cache of go-to recipes.

BeesKnees578 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 5

LOL...I just wrote out a really long post replying as if OP was a new decorator and baker.

TOTALLY missed the fact that she already has a shop!  Smh....I really worry myself sometimes!

AZCouture Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 5

AI would probably Google cake decorating or baking competitions in whatever area you are from.

Quote by @%username% on %date%