Help With Piping Roses

Decorating By JennynGA1976 Updated 5 Mar 2014 , 1:29am by JennynGA1976

JennynGA1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennynGA1976 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm new to CC.  I took a Wilton decorating course probably 10 years ago and it seems some things have changed.  I am making a birthday cake.  I wanted to practice decorating so I used a recipe for buttercream,  It was half butter and half Crisco.  I know the transfats are out of Crisco, but it did crust nicely.

Here is my problem, and I had this in class.  My frosting gets too warm when I am trying to pipe a rose.  I get the cone of it right, but when I start on the petals the rose petals ends up too tight. They look like a rose that hasn't opened up yet.   Sometimes the edges are jagged, so is my frosting too thick?  Any tips, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  I know I need to really practice.

Thanks,

Jenny

4 replies
kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 5

If the edges are jagged, it sounds like the icing is to thick.  Try adding a small amount of light corn syrup to the icing and see if that helps.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennynGA1976 

My frosting gets too warm when I am trying to pipe a rose.  I get the cone of it right, but when I start on the petals the rose petals ends up too tight. They look like a rose that hasn't opened up yet.   Sometimes the edges are jagged, so is my frosting too thick? 

The icing needs to be stiff for piping roses, especially if it gets too warm from hot hands.  If you're getting jagged edges, it's probably too dry and needs to be more creamy -- add more shortening.

Are you piping them on a flathead rose nail or on a stick?  If using a stick, it's more common to get results of a rose that hasn't opened up yet (they look more like cabbages!) because the centers can collapse or close up more when they are removed from the stick.  You can pipe them further down the stick to help make up for this.  (If you're using the flathead rose nail, I can't help with a diagnosis.)

JennynGA1976 Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 1:28am
post #4 of 5

I am using a wilton rose nail head.  

JennynGA1976 Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 1:29am
post #5 of 5

Okay, I will try that idea, thanks! : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%