What Would You Have Done?

Decorating By CakesbyKadi Updated 18 Mar 2014 , 9:58pm by howsweet

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 3:56am
post #31 of 42

AAs someone who won't make cakes for money yet because I still have too much to learn, I was surprised that you priced the cake ay 1/4 the price of others in the area, and she got mad when it wasn't perfect. I mean, you were honest, and she got what she paid for - a cake by a person who told her she wasn't an expert, at a cost probably less that a WalMart cake.( It looked pretty uneven and you didn't say that was from the fall, did you? Sorry if I misread this.) But, it was her stand. And everything else looked great - the ruffles, the flowers and the topper.

I wouldn't give her anything back. But if I were you, I wouldn't take any more wedding cake orders until your cakes are level. I know I won't! Nancy

CakesbyKadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyKadi Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:18pm
post #32 of 42

Yes, the cake was level before it slid on the stand. I had a picture of it before, and I showed her. She stopped being so rude but she never apologized for her crazy behavior. I honestly think she thought we brought it in that way, and were lying about the cake stand. We had several witnesses who saw it tip.

We've done other weddings cakes before and they turned out great. We are raising our prices as we learn, but right now I don't feel comfortable price matching. By next summer, we should be able to raise our prices. 

Also, I added things to better protect ourselves if this were to happen again. Which it won't. But from now on, we are providing stands as rentals and if they still insist on using their own, I will not put it on, and I am not liable for any damage at all. I am just going to have to be less of a push over because I told her I wasn't comfortable using the stand, and she insisted. 

Thanks for all the helpful advice, everyone. I really feel I learned a lot from this, and since what's done is done, that's all I can do. =)

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 9:58am
post #33 of 42

I don't see a problem customers providing a stand but they have to send me a picture of it before hand. That stand doesn't look like it would hold anything up and even if the mum said she wanted it, you should have been the professional and said no. I have to say the lean is very noticeable but you told her you were a newbie and it was a cheap cake, so how much can she complain?

Maybe you should have a think about they way you're doing business, if you're under cutting, getting cheap brides and aren't very experienced, these things are bound to happen.

CakesbyKadi Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 3:34am
post #34 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugaredSaffron 

I don't see a problem customers providing a stand but they have to send me a picture of it before hand. That stand doesn't look like it would hold anything up and even if the mum said she wanted it, you should have been the professional and said no. I have to say the lean is very noticeable but you told her you were a newbie and it was a cheap cake, so how much can she complain?

Maybe you should have a think about they way you're doing business, if you're under cutting, getting cheap brides and aren't very experienced, these things are bound to happen.

The way I am doing business is fine. It's not a high competitive market around here. There are several "up and coming" bakers who charge less while gaining experience. I also network with a super popular and expensive baker in our area. And how else am I supposed to gain experience?

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 5:19am
post #35 of 42

AIf the way you're doing business is just fine, I probably won't need to answer that question. Good luck with everything!

CakesbyKadi Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 1:16pm
post #36 of 42

AI am always open to advice/examples. I just can't see how I am doing it wrong. I have learned so much by just doing it, and I am very honest with the customers about my experience. In the year I have been doing this, only a couple people not satisfied, only this one was this unsatisfied.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 3:27pm
post #37 of 42

I have to say that I would be upset with that cake if it was me.  Everything looks great except it is leaning so much it takes away from the cake a lot but the ruffles look great.  Since you are a business, people will and should think you will know more about your product then them.  I know you are a newby and stated that to the customer which it was her decision to order from you so that is definitely on her.  I just would never have used that stand even if I did not have much experience.  Even if the screw had not come loose (which means it was a very poor made and probably very cheap stand) it looks too unstable and easily tipped over.  If someone was to accidently hit that table (which could have happened later on) it could easily tip over.  As far as your pricing, I think most professional bakers will take offense at undercutting, which is what you are doing.  And after looking at the few cakes you have, I really don't think you need to.  Your cakes look good and you could charge more for them.  The only thing I would say is to start using covered cake boards that are thicker and sturdier but other then that they look great. 

CakesbyKadi Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 5:23pm
post #38 of 42

AThank you. I agree that the cake was crap and she did not have to pay for it. I know I should have said no stand, and have made that very clear with upcoming wedding cakes. (I also went and bought my own that I can loan for those who want a stand) This particular bride also bought a grooms cake from me amd after all was said and done, she paid me more than what I asked for the grooms cake.

The only cakes I don't charge as much as competitors for are the wedding cakes. I have done more since and am more confident now about raising my prices. My regular cakes (birthday, etc) are priced like everyone elses and we are one of the top recommended places in my town for cakes. I also pick and choose which wedding cakes I want. And I always recommend the more experienced bakers for the higher difficulty wedding cakes. I started out doing regular cakes only but if it's a wedding cake I am comfortable with, I will do it. Thanks for all the helpful advice and comments. It means a lot to me!

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 7:20pm
post #39 of 42

Your cake is definitely not crap and should partly be paid for.  I do however think some kind of refund is required, how much is up to you.  It is good to hear you will be raising your prices on wedding cakes.  It actually took me a while to start doing wedding cakes myself.  I knew that they are more important for weddings and was scared about screwing up someone's special day so I waited until I was super confident in other cakes before I started doing wedding cakes.  That way I knew what to do if something went wrong.  I have stands as well that can either be rented or bought or they can provide one themselves but upon seeing the stand if I think it won't work I won't use it.  It just isn't worth it to me to have something go wrong with the cake just for a stand.  If they want to provide their own stand I give me all the requirement for the stand and some tips to test is out and make it will work.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 9:46pm
post #40 of 42

ATo me the heart of this is you didn't use your own good judgement and refuse to set the cake on that stand. When you're in business you have to be strong enough to believe that your perceptions are worthy. And be strong enough to stand by them. And I'm sure you could see that stand was very risky.

Customers believe in miracles. They can't fathom how you make a gorgeous cake, so they already think you're making one miracle. They have no idea what's possible and what's not.

Inexperience was not realizing the stand mightn't be appropriate. But using the stand was being like a customer and hoping things would somehow work out.

CakesbyKadi Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 9:50pm
post #41 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

To me the heart of this is you didn't use your own good judgement and refuse to set the cake on that stand. When you're in business you have to be strong enough to believe that your perceptions are worthy. And be strong enough to stand by them. And I'm sure you could see that stand was very risky.

Customers believe in miracles. They can't fathom how you make a gorgeous cake, so they already think your making one miracle. They have no idea what's possible and what's not.

Inexperiece was not rerealizing the stand wouldn't be appropriate. But using the stand was being like a customer and hoping things would somehow work out.

I didn't think it would work out, but I didn't want to refuse her. So, yes, I hoped it would work out after all. Lesson learned. Next time, (as newly stated in my contract) if they insist on the stand as they did this time, they do it themselves, after I leave and I am in no way responsible.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 9:58pm
post #42 of 42

AThe issue is going to come up all sorts of ways. For example, about once a week I have to tell a customer picking up that the cake can't ride where they want it to. This after I've sent specific instructions on how to transport it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%