More Fruit Cake Questions

Decorating By saludos05 Updated 2 Mar 2014 , 10:22pm by maisie73

saludos05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saludos05 Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 1:46am
post #1 of 9

Hi,

When I make a fruit cake,the cooked cake has sultana sized holes in it, just as if the sultana has fallen out, but it hasn't.  I see them clearly on the top and sides after it is turned out.  I push the mixture down very firmly, and tap the tin on the bench a few times before cooking.

it is cooked for 3 1/2 hours in a slow oven.  I have made the cake about 10 times in the past and always the same problem with holes. The 1 kilogram of fruit is prepared a week before at least and has 1/2 cup of brandy over it before 'waiting'to be cooked.

Can someone help? How to stop the holes forming?

Thanks

8 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 7:48am
post #2 of 9

I think they shink when cooling, well that's my theory. :)

I always get those little holes. Before covering with your preserve/jam , just take small pieces of marzipan and fill the holes. 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 10:22am
post #3 of 9

Larger holes are usually caused by raisins, if you have them in your recipe.  You should cut these smaller before mixing with the other fruit.  As an alternative to filling the holes with marzipan, if you have any off cuts or other fruitcake, you can blitz it up with some alcohol to make a paste and then push it in to the holes.  Much less tedious.

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 9

AI've been making fruitcake for years and that looks like a perfectly good one to me. No idea how you can prevent the holes though! Why do you want to? Mine look like that but once they're covered with marzipan and fondant they're lovely and smooth, not a dent in sight.

sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

I've been making fruitcake for years and that looks like a perfectly good one to me. No idea how you can prevent the holes though! Why do you want to? Mine look like that but once they're covered with marzipan and fondant they're lovely and smooth, not a dent in sight.

I agree the cake looks great! I was taught to fill any holes that a bigger then the tip of your little finger with almond paste. but these all look very small to me. 

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 9

Looks normal to me.  All of those hole have raisins or fruit in them.  They probably  just shrink a little after the cake cools and appear to leave holes.  Very normal fruitcake.

saludos05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saludos05 Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 9

AHi, thanks for the replies. Maisie, the reason I wanted a perfect one is that I am entering into a competition and it has to be un-iced.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 9

Chop your fruit to nearly the same size.  Raisins in 3.  Push the mixture firmly into the tin.  You can knock the tin on the bench a few times to help settle any 'pockets'.

As for the top, a wet hand smoothed over the surface before baking helps to get a nice smooth top.

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 9

AAh, I see, I would try Applegumpam's suggestion then if I were you. It still looks like a good fruitcake to me though. Good luck with the competition :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%