First Time Fondant User!

Decorating By triv839 Updated 13 Mar 2014 , 3:00pm by triv839

triv839 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
triv839 Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 8

AI have my first fondant cake ordered for next week, it will be superhero theme. The cake will be funfetti flavor with chocolate fudge filling. I plan to make the cake the night before and have it crumb coated so the morning of I will put the fondant and start decorating. I've heard that I shouldn't refrigerate after I put the fondant on, will the chocolate fudge be ok? Also I want to make little fondant buildings for the sides of the cake but don't want to have too much work to do the day of, is it ok to make them the day before also and let it sit there until the day of?? Thank you so much for any help!

7 replies
Bluebird Cookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluebird Cookie Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 8

Along this same line, (and I am also a first time fondant user) can I apply Royal Icing accents to fondant pieces? Will it stick? 

If this is do-able, when is the best time to apply the RI? Right after crafting the fondant, or once the fondant is dry?

Thank you so much. . . and good luck, triv839! 

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, you can refrigerate fondant cakes.  We all do it successfully.  Except in August or whenever the humidity is way up.  So now ............you're fine to cover in fondant and put in the fridge over night.  The next day you can definitely apply the buildings with royal but I prefer melted white chocolate :-)  Instant and extremely secure glue.  Will the chocolate fudge be ok.  Depends on what you made it out of.  If there's any dairy in it, you'd be best to refrigerate over night.  And as for the little fondant buildings................sigh................fondant stays so soft for a very long time ........so can you add some CMC to the building fondant and make them ahead of time - way ahead of time.  Or make the fondant very stiff with extra confectioners sugar.  Also if you live in a humid part of the country any fondant piece will take a long time to dry unless you add CMC or extra powdered sugar.  Yes, royal will stick nicely to fondant.  That's what they use when they put stencil designs on cakes - royal.  Best time to apply royal........again, it depends on the humidity in your part of the USA.  Right away would be ok, but if you have to press anything onto the fondant with mild force, you might want to put the cake in the fridge so that the fondant will harden, then apply the pieces.  Good luck, it's a lot of fun.

triv839 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 3:25am
post #4 of 8
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 4:14am
post #5 of 8

AYou only crumbcoat when you use fondant? Why not a full layer, like a cake without fondant? I think this is one of the reasons customers have an aversion to fondant, because they've had a slice of cake that hardly had any butter cream underneath. Unless I'm the weird one that puts a generous amount under the fondant, which I'm beginning to think is not done often, and I don't understand that. I'd be upset if a cake I ordered only had a thin layer of bc under the fondant. :-\

I realize this was your first time covering with fondant, so that's not really all directed to you, more of a general observation from many similar comments over the years. Is there a popular tutorial out there or well known advice site advising people to only crumb coat, or use a thinner layer of bc underneath fondant? Because really, I don't understand why customers should sacrifice bc because they're getting a fondant covered cake.

triv839 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 6:27am
post #6 of 8

A[@]AZCouture[/@] there is a lot of tutorials that do only a crumbcoat actually, that is what I did with this cake. I got a lot of compliments on the taste of the cake so I don't think that was an issue. Do you think a thicker layer of buttercream is better? But is it only taste wise? I'm still new to this but I'd love to try different techniques

Bluebird Cookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluebird Cookie Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 8

ALooks great, triv839! I worked with fondant for the first time a week ago too, and everyone was thrilled!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152052347091313

triv839 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 8

A[@]Bluebird Cookie[/@] wow good job! I did a basketball theme last week too :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%