Candy Clay To Fondant Mixing Ratio

Baking By JennyS782 Updated 1 Mar 2014 , 9:28am by lindseyjhills

JennyS782 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennyS782 Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 1:09am
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone!

I have a question about a good candy clay/fondant mix. I have a candy clay recipe I've been using and I've come across several blogs where people say they've been mixing their clay with the fondant to make the fondant easier to work with and taste better. Does anyone have a good fondant to candy clay mixing ratio? I've read several different ratios work - 50% fondant to 50% candy clay, 2 parts fondant to 1 part candy clay, etc. Which one would work best? This fondant mixture needs to be sturdy enough to cover the cake. Thank you in advance :)

2 replies
mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 6:19am
post #2 of 3

ACheck out Wicked goodies. She is on here, and I have her book. She goes over how to cover a cake with candy clay/ modeling chocolate. She has a site, too, just search her name on google.

lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 9:28am
post #3 of 3

AI tend to use a 50/50 mix on my carved/sculpted cakes or I'll use 100% modelling chocolate if the cake requires a lot of detail. It depends what you want to achieve. My reason for using a 50/50 mix instead of just fondant is that it is a lot more forgiving on sculpted cakes. You can blend away any little tears and imperfections which are inevitable (for me at least!) I think how well it behaves will depend largely on the brand or recipe of the fondant modelling chocolate/ candy clay you are mixing. I mix Covapaste brand sugarpaste (fondant) with homemade modelling chocolate which I make to the Lauren Kitchens recipe with Callebaut chocolate.

To show a comparison regarding what I mean about level of detail: I used a 50/50 mix of modelling chocolate to cover this Gruffalo cake (which I made for my niece before the copyright police jump on me ;) ).

[IMG ALT="Sculpted Gruffalo cake."]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3083524/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

For this penguin cake I used 100% modelling chocolate:

[IMG ALT="penguincake.jpg"]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3192651/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Oh and yes, another endorsement for Wicked Goodies' fab book from here, I've been using modelling chocolate for 4 years now and I still learned loads from her book when I got it this Christmas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%