Help! Bc Is Too Dry On Cake!

Decorating By rpaige Updated 1 Mar 2014 , 3:21pm by rpaige

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 5

I am working on a cake now and it is due tomorrow. My BC appeared just fine in mixing bowl and it is the same recipe I use every time (Indydebbi BC recipe).  Now that I have all my tiers frosted, it is dry and cracking.  Could I spritz it lightly with water?  Any suggestions?  Please help!  Thanks.

4 replies
pinchofsweetener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinchofsweetener Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 5

Buttercream either cracks due to being made with too little shortening or butter in relation to the powdered sugar OR it being spread on too thin OR the cake board not being enough support. Just for future reference.

As far as fixing it, I would recommend smoothing it with a hot spatula knife. Just dip the knife in hot water, wipe it clean and smooth the buttercream. See if that helps.

rpaige Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 5

I already had it basically smoothed and was using my Viva paper towel to further smooth and realized that the surface was almost powdery and then the tiers had cracked lines on the sides.  It almost looks like cracked tiles or stained glass.  I tried lying a damp paper towel on the tiers and that helped a bit but it really looks like stained glass now.  I just tried using the hot spatula with no success - appreciate your suggestion and quick response.  I have a mess now!  I have to be able to use my diamond imprint mat so I don't know how it will look.  Any other ideas?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 5

AYou need more fat or liquid in the recipe. I'm not sure where you live, but where I am is cold and we have the heat cranked right now so it's really dry in our house. This makes it worse.

rpaige Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 5

AnnieCahill, that is exactly what I thought as well - about 2:00 a.m. and a sleepless night!  I have used Indydebbi's BC recipe for several years and was stunned at the results on the cake.  I scrapped everything off, added liquid but it was still dry when reapplied on the cake.  I had some heavy fondant decorations that did need a crust but this was crazy.  It was like sand!  I had grains of powder sugar all over everything when I tried to smooth.  I was in a panic when I contacted CC.  After no sleep, I Finally realized that it must be the dry environment.  It is cold outside and my husband decided to build a fire in the fireplace!   There is a reason that I don't like to bake when hubby or kids are home.  I just hope the cake is edible because I will be so embarrassed.  I have learned a valuable lesson and I appreciate your confirming my eventual suspicions.  Being in Georgia, I either have heat and humidity or cold and dry.  Thanks  to all who responded.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%